DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   D'Oh!!!!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25250-doh.html)

Scott Moore April 27th, 2004 11:30 PM

D'Oh!!!!!!

I picked up what looked like a good deal on
a couple of wireless lavs + receiver.

when I got it unpacked, I learned that the
receiver can ONLY be powered AC/DC......

am I screwed? will I forever be intercepting
60hz electrical hum???

is there any hope????

Ken Tanaka April 27th, 2004 11:41 PM

Are you saying that the receiver is a tabletop-style unit that can only plug into the wall?

No, you probably won't pick up interference from such a transformer. But this type of unit will certainly limit its usefulness if you planned to connect it to your camera.

Scott Moore April 28th, 2004 05:24 AM

Ken (or someone else) please explain...

Are you saying that the receiver is a tabletop-style unit that can only plug into the wall?

"Yes"

No, you probably won't pick up interference from such a transformer. But this type of unit will certainly limit its usefulness if you planned to connect it to your camera.

"What might those problems be, if interference
isn't the issue?"

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 28th, 2004 06:31 AM

If it's AC powered/plugged in, you won't be mounting it to a camera, you'll always have to have AC power available to use it, and you'll always be tied to developed areas rather than being able to work in the field where there is no power. That's the problem with being dependent on AC. Further, you'll be somewhat limited as to the distance your talent can get away from the tabletop unit as opposed to being able to get away from only the camera.

Ken Tanaka April 28th, 2004 09:58 AM

This type of unit is designed for applications such as corporate meeting rooms, theatrical settings and broadcast studios where the receiver can be stationary and the talent can't roam far.

Mike Butler April 30th, 2004 10:09 AM

Actually the talent movement limitation of any wireless mic system is dictated by the radio performance of the wireless system in question. I have regularly used Shure and other brands of AC-only-powered receivers from the FOH (front-of-house) position with no radio dropouts...the talent would have to leave the building before I would have a problem receiving.

It is very true that we can't use these type of receivers as on-camera units or operate in a run-and-gun environment. On the other hand, when I am shooting in a more locked-down situation: indoors, on a tripod, camera plugged into AC mains anyway, I am confident using the "tabletop" or "half-rack" receivers. One reason is that the ones I own are pretty good quality, the more important thing is I can just leave them powered up and not worry about batteries. (Just have to keep an eye on the transmitter batteries.)

Joe Garnero April 30th, 2004 10:15 AM

If it's AC powered/plugged in, you won't be mounting it to a camera, you'll always ha

Scott,
You say it is powered by AC/DC. If the voltage is a unit of two (2,4,6,8, 12 volts) you could get a gel-cell lead-acid battery for power. This will isolate the receiver from AC line noise.

We used to use Globe Battery 12V sealed lead-acid batteries with our diversity receivers to allow optimal placement without concern for wall outlet location. In your case this sounds like the location will be a fanny pack or vest, or mounted to the tripod..

Mike Butler April 30th, 2004 12:05 PM

Come to think of it, Joe, looking at the back of my Shure Marcad diversity receivers, the AC power supply is external and the power enters the receiver through a jack calling for 12 volts DC. So...if I were to connect to a 12-volt lead-acid battery and find the right connector to fit the power jack on the receiver, that should make it "portable"...at least from the standpoint of not being dependent on AC mains. Of course, having said that, the combination of the half-rack receiver and the battery (a 7.2 Amp-Hour weighs almost 6 pounds, a 3.3 AH about 3 pounds) still don't make for the most convenient on-camera rig...but it would work!