D'Oh!!!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

D'Oh!!!!!!

I picked up what looked like a good deal on
a couple of wireless lavs + receiver.

when I got it unpacked, I learned that the
receiver can ONLY be powered AC/DC......

am I screwed? will I forever be intercepting
60hz electrical hum???

is there any hope????
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Are you saying that the receiver is a tabletop-style unit that can only plug into the wall?

No, you probably won't pick up interference from such a transformer. But this type of unit will certainly limit its usefulness if you planned to connect it to your camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ken (or someone else) please explain...

Are you saying that the receiver is a tabletop-style unit that can only plug into the wall?

"Yes"

No, you probably won't pick up interference from such a transformer. But this type of unit will certainly limit its usefulness if you planned to connect it to your camera.

"What might those problems be, if interference
isn't the issue?"
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #4

If it's AC powered/plugged in, you won't be mounting it to a camera, you'll always have to have AC power available to use it, and you'll always be tied to developed areas rather than being able to work in the field where there is no power. That's the problem with being dependent on AC. Further, you'll be somewhat limited as to the distance your talent can get away from the tabletop unit as opposed to being able to get away from only the camera.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This type of unit is designed for applications such as corporate meeting rooms, theatrical settings and broadcast studios where the receiver can be stationary and the talent can't roam far.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #6
Machinist Mate

Actually the talent movement limitation of any wireless mic system is dictated by the radio performance of the wireless system in question. I have regularly used Shure and other brands of AC-only-powered receivers from the FOH (front-of-house) position with no radio dropouts...the talent would have to leave the building before I would have a problem receiving.

It is very true that we can't use these type of receivers as on-camera units or operate in a run-and-gun environment. On the other hand, when I am shooting in a more locked-down situation: indoors, on a tripod, camera plugged into AC mains anyway, I am confident using the "tabletop" or "half-rack" receivers. One reason is that the ones I own are pretty good quality, the more important thing is I can just leave them powered up and not worry about batteries. (Just have to keep an eye on the transmitter batteries.)
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If it's AC powered/plugged in, you won't be mounting it to a camera, you'll always ha

Scott,
You say it is powered by AC/DC. If the voltage is a unit of two (2,4,6,8, 12 volts) you could get a gel-cell lead-acid battery for power. This will isolate the receiver from AC line noise.

We used to use Globe Battery 12V sealed lead-acid batteries with our diversity receivers to allow optimal placement without concern for wall outlet location. In your case this sounds like the location will be a fanny pack or vest, or mounted to the tripod..
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Machinist Mate

Come to think of it, Joe, looking at the back of my Shure Marcad diversity receivers, the AC power supply is external and the power enters the receiver through a jack calling for 12 volts DC. So...if I were to connect to a 12-volt lead-acid battery and find the right connector to fit the power jack on the receiver, that should make it "portable"...at least from the standpoint of not being dependent on AC mains. Of course, having said that, the combination of the half-rack receiver and the battery (a 7.2 Amp-Hour weighs almost 6 pounds, a 3.3 AH about 3 pounds) still don't make for the most convenient on-camera rig...but it would work!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio