DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser vs. Audio-Technica comments? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25534-sennheiser-vs-audio-technica-comments.html)

Joshua Wachs May 4th, 2004 11:35 AM

Sennheiser vs. Audio-Technica comments?

Hi all. I am looking to get two wireless lav systems and am debating btwn the Sennheiser_Evolution 100 Series (or the G2 when it arrives) and the Audio-Technica ATW Series.

Anyone have any experience with both who could shed some light? I've heard the Senns are the standard but a friend of mine also speaks highly of the ATWs and says he's had lots of noise troubles with the Senns.

I will be using these mostly for interviews for documentaries I am working on.

Thanks!

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 4th, 2004 08:36 PM

Having both, I can't really find fault with either, the only Sennheiser trouble I've had is the range is shorter, or for me it has been. Noise level doesn't seem to be any different.
I'm a huge fan of the AT wireless', we have more than 20 in various configs for our live tours, and they sound great, run great. AT has been in the wireless biz longer than most anyone except Nady and Lectrosonic. They do wireless right, and their mic's are very fine. But then again, Sennheiser makes awesome mic's too.

Dave Largent May 5th, 2004 02:39 AM

Well, I've been waiting for the G2s, but was needing
something soon and was looking at the ATWs.
The true diversity I liked, but there have been
some comments from a few that they could
hear a switching noise between the receivers.
Now, maybe they got bad units. Maybe it's a
problem that's been corrected. What put me
off to them is their deceptive advertising.
See, I had been looking at the RF output
of the transmitters. The Samson Micro32
and AKG were 10mW, I believe. The Senn
was 30mW. Now, this is a stronger signal
for greater distance and less interference.
The ATWs come off in their brochures that they
are 50mW, but it turns out that is not true --
it's only 10mW! If you read the detailed specs
it can be seen, and I read where an AT tech
guy admitted as much. The Sony wireless is
switchable between 5mW and 30mW. I would've
looked at that one but I am using it with a DPA
lav and DPA doesn't make an adapter for the Sony.
The Sony's have a good price right now, being
$500 and you get a $100 rebate on top of that.
Anyway, I was able to find a G2, so I'm going with
that.

Joshua Wachs May 5th, 2004 09:29 AM

Where'd you find the G2?

Marty Atias May 5th, 2004 12:16 PM

Some of the G2's are now shipping (100's some 300's) the rest should be available by June.

http://ATSComms.com

Mike Rehmus May 5th, 2004 09:40 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Having both, I can't really find fault with either, the only Sennheiser trouble I've had is the range is shorter, or for me it has been. -->>>

Interesting. In clear air, with me about 100 feet above and 1/4 mile away, I could record the sound from a bride and groom down in the grape vines in Napa. Very clear. Somewhat embarrasing. Sennheiser 100 bodypack receiver and transmitter. ME2 lav.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 5th, 2004 10:18 PM

I've only played with the Evolution, never seen the G2. For the price point, that's pretty impressive out of those units!
With the AT's, we've got them racked up, 6 to a case, side by side, with antenna extenders. Stages around the world are weird, particularly in New York and west coast venues, so we're pretty careful about them, testing, etc. I also like the build of the new AT's, just bought their new ENG series with the 899. Sucker really smokes. It's pretty well bulletpruf too, which is important around us. :-) We're hard on gear.

Dave Largent May 5th, 2004 10:58 PM

Just today heard from Express Video Supply that the
Senn 100ENG-G2 will be out in about two weeks.

Jeff Toogood May 6th, 2004 06:45 AM

Which Audio Technica kits should I be looking for? I am really interested in getting a kit that is portable. I already have a Sennheiser 112EW kit.

Marty Atias May 6th, 2004 10:52 AM

The only battery operated / ENG wireless A-T has is the U-100 system
http://audiotechnica.com/guide/wireless/u100.html

Sennheiser and my Sennheiser Rep are saying the ENG kits as well as the 500 series will not be out before June. Anyone telling you sooner is jivin' you

Dave Largent May 8th, 2004 02:56 PM

Joshua,
I found it at Talamas Broadcast Equipment.
Got it at a great price, too.

http://www.talamas.com/welcome1.html

Mike Rehmus May 9th, 2004 11:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : I've only played with the Evolution, never seen the G2. For the price point, that's pretty impressive out of those units!
With the AT's, we've got them racked up, 6 to a case, side by side, with antenna extenders. Stages around the world are weird, particularly in New York and west coast venues, so we're pretty careful about them, testing, etc. I also like the build of the new AT's, just bought their new ENG series with the 899. Sucker really smokes. It's pretty well bulletpruf too, which is important around us. :-) We're hard on gear. -->>>

Get this. My first wireless was the $150 Sony 900. I used it in Javits Center in NYC with absolutely no problems during an maor Internet Show. But it wouldn't do a wedding here in California at 20 feet. Go figure.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 9th, 2004 11:29 AM

Believe me, I've got lots of those stories here, too. Javit's is usually a wireless nightmare, unless you've got a clean diversity switching system. I've never messed with weddings, I envy the guys that have the endurance and patience to deal with psychotic bride's mothers and stoned sisters or brothers. :-)

Joe Carney May 10th, 2004 10:09 PM

<< I envy the guys that have the endurance and patience to deal with psychotic bride's mothers and stoned sisters or brothers. :-)
<<

According to some people I know, rich people are genuine cheapskates when it comes to wedding videos.
(Maybe it's because they know they are going to have several, hehehe).

Joshua Wachs June 1st, 2004 07:04 PM

Anyone's G2 system arrive yet?