Phantom Power / xlr for XL-1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Phantom Power / xlr for XL-1s

How much of an advantage is phantom power? I've got a AT835b, a Xl-1s, and am trying to decide berween the beachtek dxa-6 w/phantom and the dxa-4 without. Cost difference is about $90... Also I've heard both the canon xlr adaptors have a tendency to add noise and buzz; anyone with this experience? Any help is very much appreciated, Thanks.
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Phantom opens up a considerable number of choices and better quality for less money. You may want to go the whole 9 yards with a DXA-8. It has preamps, phantom and limiters.
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Bryan. I'm working the no budget feature at the moment though. I could probably just swing the dxa-6 at $250. Could you elaborate a little bit on the advantages of phantom; you mentioned additional choices it offers...
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Most condenser microphones require phantom power, very few include a battery powered option and then most of those are at the southern end of the pecking order.

The preamp will raise your input so that you depend less on the on camerapreamplification.

The limiters will save the day by compressing loud passages rather than distorting.

The DXA-8 is so much more complete

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=FetchChildren&Q=&ci=1427

Have a look at the various mic specifications and see how many include battery power options. Even if they do the signal to noise and the dynamic range are improved.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Bryan, but if you don't have the budget for the DXA-8, the DXA-6 should be far superior to the Canon MA-100 (which doesn't provide phantom anyway). I don't know if Canon solved the noise problem with the XL-1s improvements, but in my opinion the MA-100 adapters that I worked with on the XL-1 were unusable for quality sound.
Fortunately the XL-1 mic inputs on the camera itself (front and rear) and the line inputs (rear) work reasonably well if you don't overdrive them. However, the 835b is a fairly low-gain mic, so you may have the opposite problem of not having enough gain. Depending on what you're recording, you may greatly benefit from the preamp feature of the DXA-8. Or if this project has fairly loud subjects, you could look at getting the DXA-6 now and investing in a better mic later.
At any rate, having a phantom power adapter really opens up the choices you have for quality mics.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio