DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   pro sound on a trv19? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/25999-pro-sound-trv19.html)

Alfred Okocha May 14th, 2004 04:55 PM

pro sound on a trv19?

On a project that has to be recoreded on a physically small cam (like the trv19..the one I have..) is it possible to connect a lapela mic AND a boom mic on seperate tracks? Or is it better to record on DAT and put it together later?

Or how would you do it?

Thanks.

Matt Gettemeier May 14th, 2004 04:59 PM

In that cam for outright sound quality DAT would be better, but you could get reasonable sound by using a Beachtek DXA6 and then you could run two seperate channels and be able to supply phantom to either (or both) mic(s) as needed.

The Beachtek is $250... but worth it.

(I thought about getting a trv19/22 for a "danger-cam"... they seem like a good value for the price.)

Bryan Beasleigh May 14th, 2004 07:33 PM

I've recorded using my TRV20 and it has far better sound than the (unmodified) VX2K (not hard to beat).

If you'll be staying with consumer cameras right up to prosumer with 1/8 stereo input, I'd recomend the DXA8. It's somewhere around $360 but it adds preamps, limiters and phantom in a camera mounted package.

Alfred Okocha May 15th, 2004 05:38 AM

Thanks both of you. I have never used the cam for anything "serious" before, so it's good to know there's a away around DAT.
I'll look in to both of them.

Thanks.

Frank Granovski May 15th, 2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

I've recorded using my TRV20 and it has far better sound than the (unmodified) VX2K
That bad, huh? Yes, actually I noticed that the VX2000 is poor compared with my MX300. Funny how Sony screwed up so badly with the VX2000/PD150's audio. Has the VX2100's audio been improved?

Bryan Beasleigh May 15th, 2004 07:37 PM

The VX2K audio isn't obvious, total crap, it kinda wears. some people are quite happy with it. Iwas for almost a whole year ;-)

Frank Granovski May 15th, 2004 07:49 PM

I've heard VX2 playback, via a Sony deck and headphones. It sounded somewhere between tinny and harsh.

Bryan Beasleigh May 15th, 2004 08:42 PM

It shouldn't have, that would have depended on the mic, the setup and of course the headphones. Not to say the VX2K is horendous but the smaller cams like the TRV20 and i suspect the 19 are capable damn decent audio. Of course there's the old adage "cr@p in cr@p out". a reasonably good mic is necessary. Some times reasonably good can be reasonably priced.

Frank Granovski May 15th, 2004 10:09 PM

That footage was taken with the built-in mic, of a bunch of people playing drums in a park. I didn't shoot it, just watched and listened to the play-back. Maybe something's wrong with his VX2000? It did hit the cement once. Luckily he had a big lens hood on it (it landed on the hood/lens). Ouch.

Richard Brennan May 18th, 2004 12:33 AM

Re: pro sound on a trv19?

<<<-- Originally posted by Alfred Okocha : Or is it better to record on DAT and put it together later? -->>>

First of all, it goes without saying (but I'm going to say it anyway) the best thing you can do to get "professional" sound is to put a decent mic close to the actor (or whoever your "talent" is.) So the issue then becomes how to get this wonderful sound into your production.

You have some other choices besides recording in camera or using DAT. MD recorders are MUCH less expensive than DAT and can be used in the same way - record quality sound and then sync later.

My personal favorite, however, is to record multiple tracks to my laptop for later mixing and enhancement in the studio. In order to do that I use an audio interface. that plugs into my firewire port I use an Edirol FA-101 with ten mic inputs, but if you only need two inputs you can use the UA-5 USB Digital Audio Capture (which costs about $260.) Then you need audio software that let you record and mix your tracks. Vegas has this already. I also use Cakewalk Sonar. Cakewalk also makes a less expensive product, their Home Studio 2004 that sells for about $130.

Just a few more ideas to throw into the mix.

Frank Granovski May 18th, 2004 12:46 AM

All that for a Sony 1-chip TRV19? :-))

Richard Brennan May 18th, 2004 10:15 AM

Sure. But only if you want good sound. I know you are just being flip, but think about it: If you figure sound is 50% of the presentation - take the same $500 or so that you spent on the TRV19 and get a mic and a sound editing program you'll have what you need to record sound on your computer or laptop. Digital sound, no less. Record one trak at a time, then edit.

I think the real obstacle of most people isn't $$, but learning to think in terms of sound editing the way they think of video editing (i.e. the job isn't over once you've gotten the shot).

Bryan Beasleigh May 18th, 2004 10:31 PM

Richard
You can get "good" sound into a trv19. Good is relative to a persons tastes and needs. It's different strokes for different folks.

I did an expertiment, inputing an AT899 and a Sony ECM44 lav into a TREV 20 and the result was good sound. All that was needed was a little care and a XLR to mini cable. The audio I recorded would have impressed most viewers as highly acceptable.

If the person doesn't own a laptop you've just upped the ante. By the sounds of it you have an apple, which most do not have. If he does record on a secondary device he now has to sync. Even with the rig you describe you can get crappy audio

There are all levels of pro and amateur on this site.

Dave Largent May 18th, 2004 10:59 PM

I had a Sony TR101 Hi8 analog camera that
had better sound than the VX -- more life-like,
with higher sensitivity to boot.

Frank Granovski May 19th, 2004 12:13 AM

Some of those old cams had great audio, some did not. Today, it's much the same. Thankfully, the VX and PD cams can get their audio fixed. Ask Bryan about it. :-))