DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mono Mic Records Both Channels. How? VX2000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/26117-mono-mic-records-both-channels-how-vx2000.html)

Mike Condron May 17th, 2004 11:56 AM

Mono Mic Records Both Channels. How? VX2000

I've been wondering how the VX2000 mic input, which must be 3 wire, (tip-ring-sleeve) will record both channels when the mono mic is tip-sleeve with the ring area of a stereo plug now sleeve. It seems to me that the ring input is now grounded and the right channel should be silent. (I assume the tip is the left channel)
Thanks

Mike Condron

Bryan Beasleigh May 17th, 2004 07:26 PM

unbalanced output to 1/8 (3.5mm) mono or stereo

Stereo
tip=left chanel
ring =right
sleeve= grnd

mono
signal to tip and grnd to sleeve

Mono on stereo input so both chanels are driven
signal to tip and ring
grnd to sleeve.

The 9.50 Hosa adapter is wired as the second example states
there is a two XLR cable where there is a separate XLR for left and right channels.

The VX2000 won't need a DC blocking capacitor. I've used mono, mono input to both channels and two xlrs into stereo. The cables are the most inexpensice way out provided the mic is hot enough.

The trick is to keep the manual gain as low qas posible. The audio gets noisy at around 60%

Jorn Umpo May 26th, 2004 11:22 PM

if anybody could tell me what I need to buy (a link would be great), to get a mono 1/8 mini microphone to record to both channels on my vx2000, I would really appreciate it. Please help, I am very confused!

Mike Condron May 27th, 2004 07:52 AM

Jorn,
I have a VX2000 also and here is what I know.

If you plug in a mono mic with a mono plug on it you will record mono to both the left and right channels on the DV tape. (there seems to be a circuit that detects the camera's jack ring contact shorted to the sleeve contact that switches the left channel input into the right channel input also) If, for some reason, your mono mic has a stereo plug on it you will record mono to the left channel and the right channel on the DV tape. If you get a mono-to-stereo adapter (Radio Shack #274-375 $4.99) you can record a mono mic onto either the left or right channel with one mic by plugging into either the left or right jack, or you can record to the left and right channels at the same time with two mics, one to each channel on the DV tape. With this adapter plugged into the camera's mic input and only one mono mic plugged into the left channel input on the adapter the camera will not record mono to both channels. You may have to see the Radio Shack adapter before this stuff makes sense.

Your problem may actually be that the camera is doing its record-mono-to-left-and-right-channel thing but your NLE is detecting mono and recording only to the left channel. The fix to this is to copy the left channel to the right chanlnel in the NLE. I presume that the stereo mic in the camera works OK all the way through post and onto a DVD.