DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Time to upgrade my audio (GL2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/26651-time-upgrade-my-audio-gl2.html)

Robert Dombaj May 27th, 2004 12:33 PM

Time to upgrade my audio (GL2)

Hello,
I know similar questions have been posted in the past but after reading back a couple of pages, I can't find a good answer for my situation. So, I hope that some of you will offer some insight.

I've come to the conclusion that I need much better audio at church ceremonies (weddings). I have a limited budget and here is what I came up with...after reading many posts:

Option 1.
-wireless mic, probably the Sony true diversity system. Hook it up to my spare Sony 1-chip camera and record the audio on a seperate tape.

Option 2.
-mini disc recorder (Sony MZN10) with a lav mic. I would place the recoder in the grooms inside breast pocket...it's a very small unit. I would then match up the audio in post.

Option 3.
-buy a mic stand and a shotgun mic and point it at the altar so that background noise can be minimized. Hook it up to my Sony 1 chipper and record on a seperate tape.

Option 4
Combine one of the first 2 option with #3.

What do you guys think? The most expensive would be the Sony wireless system but if I can avoid this and still get better audio then I'll all for it.

Maybe some of you can share your own set-ups?

Thanks,
Robert D.

Matt Stahley May 27th, 2004 02:22 PM

I just shot a wedding over the weekend and did your option #2 set up. Worked excellent. I used a $40 lav mic from the sound professionals and it clearly picked up the Bride and JP with no problems attached to the grooms lapel.It was my cheapest solution considering I already owned the MD recorder.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 28th, 2004 12:58 AM

Obviously, your #2 setup is the best option for the cost, but the wireless option is best for the reality of it all. #3 isn't practical at all in most situations.
However, I'd consider mixing #1 and #3...one mic feeding left, and one mic feeding right of your camera.

Jeffrey Parker June 6th, 2004 09:34 PM

Mini Disc model for recording audio

Can anyone recommend a new model mini-disc with this recording capability? I've looked on the Sony site and can't really determine which model would work.

Thanks in advance

K. Forman June 7th, 2004 05:22 AM

I picked up a cheap AudioTechnica ATR55 shotgun for about $65 US, and it increased the audio at least 200%. I can only imagine what the favored ME66 would do.

Marco Leavitt June 7th, 2004 06:50 AM

Matt,
What was the model number on that lav? Does it have any problems with overloading?

Robert Dombaj June 7th, 2004 08:24 PM

Re: Mini Disc model for recording audio

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Parker : Can anyone recommend a new model mini-disc with this recording capability? I've looked on the Sony site and can't really determine which model would work.

Thanks in advance -->>>

I've been looking myself (mainly on ebay) and here's a short list of recent MD players with a mic in and line out:
MZ-N1
MZ-N10 (getting phased out by Sony, sexy looking unit though)

The Sony MZ-N707 does not have a line out.

I've also looked on Sony's website and can't find any player that will record from a mic. Go figure.

Robert

David Ennis July 21st, 2004 08:27 PM

Sony MD recorders

For some reason Sony seems to have dropped the mic input from most of their MD's. It's even hard to find a model with a line input although without calling it a line input they say that the "High Speed Net MD Walkman Recorder" @ $129 does have the ability to record from "home CD or radio," implying a line input.

For Sony MD with a mic input you have to be willing to spend $300-400. The trail at their web site (I'd post the URL but it's the length of my monitor screen) is:

Sony Style / Electronics / Portable Audio / Voice Recorders / Mini Disc

Bryan Beasleigh July 21st, 2004 10:19 PM

Robert
AVR communications in Toronto had a stock of the older mini disk with mic in. They deliberately stocked up on the older models.
Talk to Jason or Cyril

AVR