Time to upgrade my audio (GL2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Time to upgrade my audio (GL2)

Hello,
I know similar questions have been posted in the past but after reading back a couple of pages, I can't find a good answer for my situation. So, I hope that some of you will offer some insight.

I've come to the conclusion that I need much better audio at church ceremonies (weddings). I have a limited budget and here is what I came up with...after reading many posts:

Option 1.
-wireless mic, probably the Sony true diversity system. Hook it up to my spare Sony 1-chip camera and record the audio on a seperate tape.

Option 2.
-mini disc recorder (Sony MZN10) with a lav mic. I would place the recoder in the grooms inside breast pocket...it's a very small unit. I would then match up the audio in post.

Option 3.
-buy a mic stand and a shotgun mic and point it at the altar so that background noise can be minimized. Hook it up to my Sony 1 chipper and record on a seperate tape.

Option 4
Combine one of the first 2 option with #3.

What do you guys think? The most expensive would be the Sony wireless system but if I can avoid this and still get better audio then I'll all for it.

Maybe some of you can share your own set-ups?

Thanks,
Robert D.
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I just shot a wedding over the weekend and did your option #2 set up. Worked excellent. I used a $40 lav mic from the sound professionals and it clearly picked up the Bride and JP with no problems attached to the grooms lapel.It was my cheapest solution considering I already owned the MD recorder.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

Obviously, your #2 setup is the best option for the cost, but the wireless option is best for the reality of it all. #3 isn't practical at all in most situations.
However, I'd consider mixing #1 and #3...one mic feeding left, and one mic feeding right of your camera.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #4
New Boot

Mini Disc model for recording audio

Can anyone recommend a new model mini-disc with this recording capability? I've looked on the Sony site and can't really determine which model would work.

Thanks in advance
Jeffrey Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I picked up a cheap AudioTechnica ATR55 shotgun for about $65 US, and it increased the audio at least 200%. I can only imagine what the favored ME66 would do.
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Matt,
What was the model number on that lav? Does it have any problems with overloading?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Mini Disc model for recording audio

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Parker : Can anyone recommend a new model mini-disc with this recording capability? I've looked on the Sony site and can't really determine which model would work.

Thanks in advance -->>>

I've been looking myself (mainly on ebay) and here's a short list of recent MD players with a mic in and line out:
MZ-N1
MZ-N10 (getting phased out by Sony, sexy looking unit though)

The Sony MZ-N707 does not have a line out.

I've also looked on Sony's website and can't find any player that will record from a mic. Go figure.

Robert
Robert Dombaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Fred Retread

Sony MD recorders

For some reason Sony seems to have dropped the mic input from most of their MD's. It's even hard to find a model with a line input although without calling it a line input they say that the "High Speed Net MD Walkman Recorder" @ $129 does have the ability to record from "home CD or radio," implying a line input.

For Sony MD with a mic input you have to be willing to spend $300-400. The trail at their web site (I'd post the URL but it's the length of my monitor screen) is:

Sony Style / Electronics / Portable Audio / Voice Recorders / Mini Disc
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Robert
AVR communications in Toronto had a stock of the older mini disk with mic in. They deliberately stocked up on the older models.
Talk to Jason or Cyril

AVR

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio