What To Use With Rode NT4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

What To Use With Rode NT4?

I have a Rode NT4 stereo mic which is destined to record small ensembles of music--a singer, a small chorus or a few instruments. I have yet to buy my first audio component that falls into the sphere of mixers, pre amps, MDs, DATs etc. I figure I can simplify the process by just focusing on my primary microphone and what may suit this particular model best. For a stereo mic are there any considerations to make in deciding whether one format is better than another? Which components might possiibly be more compatible a match? I have a DVX100, by the way. My budget, ideally, would be under $1000. Under $500 even better. :)

Thanks!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Trustee

The DVX100 has very good audio, however a mixer would allow some flexability and convenience.

I'd stick with a known product and that would include the Sound devices Mix Pre or the PSC Promix 3. There are some others but they are more pricey. the shure entry FP24 is the Sound Devices Mix Pre so we won't even mention that one.

http://www.professionalsound.com/catalog/DV%20Promix.htm

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mx2master.htm

The PSC is $500 and the Mix Pre is $655. You can get a mixer for less, but when you have the dvx100 why bother. JMO

Beach Tek is close to anouncing a two channel mixer with line level out. I haven't anymore info. It's supposed to be in the same price range as the DXA-8
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your suggestions. I realize, given the caliber of the DVX100 and the Rode NT4, I need some precise guidance on this and not blindly grab at anything. There is so much out there to absorb, and I find specific choices as yours very helpful.

One question though--what about a separate recording device? Would that be a worthwhile option? Or is the DVX100 adequate enough?
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Barry, you may not need all of that. How 'bout just
use the NT4 straight into the camera? I don't
see a need for a seperate recording device.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Dave--maybe that's the kind of reassuring advice I'm looking for. ;)
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Barry, I'm gonna send you a pic or two showing how
I have the NT4 attached to a VX.
And here's the furry for it. The NT4 is *very* sensitive
to wind, and the supplied foam is not at all effective
against the wind.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=277952&is=REG
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #8
Trustee

I got those pics off to you. Hope you get them okay.
The pics also show how the Sound Devices MixPre
preamp can be attached to the VX. Like I said,
you probably don't even need that.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #9
Trustee

I agree with Dave. that's why i made the comment about the fine audio that the DVX100 has.

That was also my point that you should only buy a good mixer if you ever do. A cheap mixer wouldn't compliment a camera like the DVX100.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #10
Trustee

If anyone else wants to see the pictures, let me know
and I'll get them off to you.
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #11
Major Player

The photos are certainly of interest to examine--I'm pleased and rather relieved to know that my DVX100 is suitable as is. I just bought a Lowel Caselite 4 and am not exactly ready to go on another spree anytime soon. ;) But I may look into a mixer since it's all a matter of being informed about audio in general.
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Jay Rose just did a review on the PSC mixer. I thought it would make some interesting reading.
http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.jhtml;jsessionid=NW1FFDET0XUVUQSNDBCSKHY?category=Review%2CHardware&LookupId=/xml/review/rose0604_rvw
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #13
Trustee

Yeah, I checked out that review, and went to
the PSC site. I've heard that PSC does offer good quality, but I think there are better mixers than that around
for camcorder users. For one, what's this about
using it with an attenuator to get good results?
I think you're better off sticking with Sound Devices stuff.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I also can't see why you need a mixer, if you only have the one microphone. I found the Rode NT4 a good match in terms of quality with the DVX100 camera audio. You can just plug it straight into the camera. Unless you are recording dual system, the benefit of using the higher quality pre-amps on a mixer would be marginal.

Dual system recording would definitely give you better quality, but it may be overkill for what you need. If you were going down the dual system route, you need to chose your recording device first, and then the pre-amp or mixer to match. e.g if you used a laptop and the m-audio firewire 410, you still would not need a separate mixer. If you are recording classical music I would strongly recommend the computer route. You can then record at 24bit, which gives you more dynamic range.

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Patrick, I have a laptop and an M-Audio Firewire 410. What mics would you recomend for live music recording?
I'll be using Vegas for recording the audio.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio