mixer options help needed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 11th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

mixer options help needed?

I was wondering what are the recommendations for a portable mixer with balanced in/out put, phantom power, fader, and reliable for a lot of moving from location shoot to location shoot, and that wont break the bank.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Trustee

When you say "portable", do you mean transportable or does it need to have battery power?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #3
Trustee

My vote would be one of the Sound Devices. There are 3 different levels and they're all rock solid. I own a Mix Pre and a 302, they're the best bang for the buck out there.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/index.html#field

At $665, $1200 and $2500 their pretty well best at their respective levels. (2, 3 and 4 input) They're small and light yet built like a tank and fully funvctional.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=1556&shs=&ci=4962&ac=&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=9

The PSC is worth a look, they have a nice entry level unit at $500. For pricing look at the link from B&H and select PSC from the drop down list.
http://www.professionalsound.com/Catalog.htm

Samsom and Rolls have some lower priced units that hold up quite well. They lack the portability, features and build of the Sound Devices and PSC but still offer good value.

I wouldn't bother with Shure since the FP24 is the Sound devices Mix Pre relabled. The management and engineering staff at Sound devices are all ex Shure people.

Wendt and cooper are good but more pricey.

Beach Tek will be coming out with a 2 channel mixer at around the $360 mark in the very near future

dv.com has several reviews so have a look over there.

http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.jhtml?category=Archive&LookupId=/xml/review/garrett1203

http://www.dv.com/reviews/reviews_item.jhtml?category=Archive&LookupId=/xml/review/rose1103_rev

You could always have a look at RAMPS. Do a search, this is one of the greatest resources available in audio production.

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=rec.arts.movies.production.sound+&btnG=Search
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #4
Major Player

It need to be small and light enough to be transportable whether battery powered or not.
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Are you meaning field mixer though? Or are you also looking at studio type mixers that while not tiny like the sound devices, are still small enough to move around. They tend to have lots of I/O channels, master fader and all that stuff? Items like the Mackie 10, 12 and 14VLZ's seems pretty good at that.

Aaron
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Dwight Flynn : It need to be small and light enough to be transportable whether battery powered or not. -->>>

Could you be a little more detailed. Did any of those mixers i mentioned "float your boat"
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

$500 budget for field mixer

Aaron, I do mean a field mixer (not studio they are generally too large). And Bryan your suggestions were great but I have to stay at about the $500 range for the unit (strict budget).

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #8
Trustee

Dwight, the PSC one is about that price at B&H

Aaron
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #9
Trustee

The PSC is $495 at B&H. Read the review links I gave you for DV.com or wait a few weeks and buy the Beach Tek. if the construction is anything like the DXA-8 it'll be a nice unit for about $360.
Old June 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM   #10
Major Player

I think I will wait for the beach tek. But in the mean time I will look to see what prices I can get some of the others for.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio