DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   quality difference between XLR and mini-stereo plug (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28240-quality-difference-between-xlr-mini-stereo-plug.html)

Dan Heaton June 29th, 2004 05:35 PM

quality difference between XLR and mini-stereo plug

How much difference is there between using an XLR connection vs. a standard stereo plug, which most lower end cameras use?

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 29th, 2004 05:39 PM

In terms of quality of audio, none. In terms of how cables are run in terms of distance, there is a lot of difference.
3.5 mm plugs are for very short runs of less than 10 feet or so. Ideally, you have long runs of balanced cable that terminate in a direct box or transformer device that converts the signal to high impedance for the last 12" of run or so, from ground to camera, from underslung box on the camera such as the Studio Devices or Beachtek, and then the 3.5 mm plug is used to input to the cam.

Dan Heaton June 29th, 2004 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am just a bit confused though. Maybe this will help.

I have a gl1 camcorder and am looking to do some interviews with a wireless mic. The mics with the XLR inputs are quite a bit more expensive, so I was just wondering if I would suffer any quality loss going with a mic with a stereo plus input. Also, is VHF ok for the wireless mics?

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 29th, 2004 05:50 PM

First, VHF is always risky, but quite doable in close quarters. You run a much higher risk of interference, but quality is quite acceptable when all is working well. Depends on the wireless. And price isn't necessarily related to quality.

If your cable run from the receiver of the wireless is less than a couple feet, you'll suffer no loss of quality using the 3.5mm (stereo mini) input.

Brad Higerd July 2nd, 2004 03:23 PM

DSE,

Are you saying that if I output my Sen ME66K6 through a short XLR to minijack converter (just a short cable is all it is), that there is no need to use my beechtek XLR adaptor on my GL2?

Brad

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 2nd, 2004 03:31 PM

more or less, that's what I'm saying, yes. If you are using the Beachtek to attenuate the 66, and you find that the Canon pre can't attenuate it enough, then you may still want/need to use the Beachtek.
But, if it's a short cable, has a transformer built in to convert lo to hi z, then you'd need nothing more.

Brad Higerd July 2nd, 2004 03:34 PM

Before I try that this weekend, are you confident that the battery powered k6 module is not going to send a signal strong enough to damage the GL2? I know it's just a 1.5v AA battery, but I feel the need to ask.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 2nd, 2004 03:42 PM

No, the battery isn't going to send a signal strong enough to damage the GL. Valid question...but no, this isn't an issue.

Brad Higerd July 2nd, 2004 03:49 PM

Thanks.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

Brad Higerd July 3rd, 2004 12:13 AM

excellent advise! Now I wish I did not purchase 2 beechtek XLR adaptors.

Thanks for the help DSE.