AT835b - Windscreen recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 6th, 2004, 07:10 AM   #1
Major Player

AT835b - Windscreen recommendations

I have an Audio Technica 835b.
We are about to get a gitzo pole, and already have an AT shockmount for it (can't remember the model # right now).

I was wondering if anyone could give me some windscreen recommendations for this mic.

Also, and this will sound idiotic...but how big a difference can I expect to hear wiht a decent windscreen?

The only problem I've ever had wiht this microphone is the amount of ambient sound it picks up. WHile my dialogue always sounds great, there is quite a bit of room tone behind it, it sounds a bit hollow.

Would a good windscreen help to cut down on things like AC, refrigerators, etc that may be going on in the background?

(i'm not always shooting in situations where I can cut these things off)

Thanks,

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #2
Trustee

"Would a good windscreen help to cut down on things like AC, refrigerators, etc that may be going on in the background"

A windscreen isn't going to help you here, you could apply a low frequency rolloff in post, that might help some.

A wind screen only stops wind interference. Here is a link to a chart and a small writeup on the relative merits of some wind protection. http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/W...0Reduction.pdf
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Wrangler

Steady backgound noises like AC and refrigerators will cut right through the windscreen.

Using a noise filter in post won't help remove it completely. And your talent will sound like they are talking down a tube if you get too extreme.

You must either move or turn the source off (and don't forget to turn it back on).
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Beaser & Mike,

Thanks for the advice.
I have been using post processing to reduce some noise, but as you pointed out it is never perfect.

Based on what you mentioned and the information from Rycote's site, I'll probably hold off on the purchase of any further audio gear, and just do my best to control the shooting environment.

Most of my shooting to date is interiors stuff anyhow.

Thanks,

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio