DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wanna' hear the swamp by my house? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28608-wanna-hear-swamp-my-house.html)

Matt Gettemeier July 7th, 2004 09:53 PM

Wanna' hear the swamp by my house?

I guess it's getting late and I'm feeling punchy... I can't stop laughing at these damn frogs I recorded last night. There's a park not too far from me called Klondike Park. It's quite a little gem... I was scouting it as a possible location and unfortunately there is a power plant a couple miles away... and you can hear it humming in most of the audio... but it's not bad and the ambient "swamp" sounds are pretty entertaining...

I did this with 2 Oktavas on the end of a stick... er... "boom"... in ORTF configuration... in 2 blimps.

I'm sorry for the bit of handling noise that comes through in one or two parts... the skeeters were killin' me!

CLICK HERE for 4 different parts of the park... seperated by silence.

BTW this is a windows media file...

Ken Tanaka July 7th, 2004 10:09 PM

I got itchy just listening to that. Reminds my of my backpacking days.

That's actually a nice little clip. Good spacial ambience, particularly in the first two parts. You should offer that as a loop that city folks (like me) can play at bedtime.

Matt Gettemeier July 8th, 2004 07:41 PM

Thanks Ken! I thought I'd get a little more response then this... I'm pretty impressed with the Oktavas in ORTF configuration.

They 'aint no Schoeps, but if you saw where I was I doubt you'd have the Schoeps there anyway!

For run'n'gun shooting... 2 Oktavas on a stick sounds decent.

I'm planning to start a comprehensive collection of sound effects, both practical effects and ambience.

Sure there's always better stuff out there, but I think my kit gets some seriously detailed audio... If you turn it up just a bit, or use headphones... then the sense of 3D space is really good... also there are a hundred different sounds happening at once!

I'm gonna' be getting clips like that with my uberjammer* and 2 Rode studio mics... large diaphragms... THEN you'll hear some serious sh*t.

*uberjammer: noun. Term coined by Beas to represent a hodge-podge creation to shockmount and windshield 2 large mics.

Dave Largent July 12th, 2004 10:24 AM

Wow, Matt, pretty cool. Nice recordings. What was that buzzing
on the fourth one? And also the clicking on the fourth? What kinda creatures were those? Sounds like the Amazon! : - )

Matt Gettemeier July 12th, 2004 12:16 PM

The buzzing is some kind of insect... I don't know what? The clicking sound is crickets... crazy huh? I especially like how the cricket clicking oscillates around... I didn't touch any of these... this is exactly how they sounded as I stood there in the dark.