DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Me66, Me64, At4073a (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/28651-me66-me64-at4073a.html)

Michael Bendixen July 8th, 2004 02:42 PM

Me66, Me64, At4073a

Does any one have any comment on:

ME66, ME64, and AT4073A.

I'm looking for the best audio I can get for this price range. Are are these comparable and competitive mics. Does anyone have a preference on any of them, if so, why?

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Matt Gettemeier July 8th, 2004 04:35 PM

Breeze around a little bit Michael... there are posts all over this subject. Unless you absolutely, positively need a mic that includes it's own battery power as an option... i.e. the K6 powering module that is required to operate the me66, me64... ( I KNOW they can still run phantom, but the K6 is part of the deal... you can't just run one of the capsules without it.)

Anway, as I was saying... if your gear supplies phantom power then you'd be absolutely nuts to get the me66 over the 4073a.

The me66 is generally regarded as the ideal mic for mini-DV users... by NEWBIES... as your abilities and taste improve you quickly realize what a "starter mic" the me66 is...

If you want to spend the very least and get a shotgun I'd get an AT835b... but if you want a truly professional shotgun with an earned reputation then I'd go with the AT4073a... at only $80 more then an me66 it's a total bargain.

There was a thread like this at dv.com and the overwhelming majority of the thread agreed... the 4073a is the bang for the buck leader of all the shotguns.

Michael Bendixen July 8th, 2004 06:07 PM

You've confirmed what I've read previously. The documentarian Alan Barker speaks well of the 4073a and not well of the me66. He recommends the me64 for its better voice rendition and other reasons as well.
Here is my deal. My employer owns an AT835b which I have full use of until I finish my film in october. However I'd like to get some wind suppression systems now for the 835b and I not want to have to by another modular suspension mount, windshield, and windjammer for my next mic.

Can I find a wind suppression system that will work for both mics? Thanks.

Jacques Mersereau July 12th, 2004 02:37 PM

IF the mics are both about the same length, then YES. You should
be able to call a place like www.locationsound.com and find out fur sure.

Matt Gettemeier July 12th, 2004 02:51 PM

AT835B = 14.53" x 0.83"

AT4073A = 9.13" x 0.83"

The 4.4" of extra length for the 835b would suck for the 4073a. The only way you're gonna' get one system to accomodate both of those is a blimp system. Which means that you'll be committing a huge blimp to a small mic.

I'd try to find something dirt cheap to get by with on the 835b and then get whatever is perfect for the 4073a later.