Another question regarding Oktava MC-012 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 8th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another question regarding Oktava MC-012

Okay... so I'm getting ready to order this mic and I click to the website suggested to me. Now I'm confused. Capsules? Just how much of the Oktava do I have to buy? I was interested in the Oktava because it would be within my price range (100 +) and I chose it out of those recommended to me.

So, what parts do I have to purchase? Previously, I was told I would have to spend $100 - $190 for the Oktava. Okay, that's fine... but I need to purchase the right "capsule"!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Linda Schodowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Trustee

You can buy an Oktava at a Guitar Center for a better price (some people have only paid $50)but you aren't assured of a quality mic. The sound room sells mics that they've selected as the best quality available.

The standard mic setup is a preamp and cardoid capsule. A hypercardoid or Omni capsule is $64 each at the sound room and to my knowledge the Guitar Center doesn't sell these. You can buy the whole kit for $299.

You could call Jason at AVR and buy the Oktava from him. You can find his number on the web site. He is in Toronto so there may be a problem with warranty.

There are 2 basic types of mics, one with fixed diaphrams and ones that have changeable capsules. The Omn, Cardoid and Hypercardoid capsules screw onto the preamp body.

have you read anything that explains mic patterns?
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM   #3
Major Player

If the Sound Room will let you buy an Oktava MK012... (mc012... same) with a HYPER-cardioid cap... instead of the usual cardioid cap, then get that. I use the hyper 90% of the time... there isn't a huge difference between the hyper and the regular-cardioid, but the hyper does have an edge.

All you REALLY need is that cap... and NO you can't get that cap from Guitar Center... and I DOUBT Guitar Center will EVER sell the Oktava for less then $99 each again. At my local GC they're $125 and they've stayed that price for the last year.

Buying one of those and then getting the hyper cap from the Sound Room will push you over $200 for a mic of uncertain quality... so if you can get the MK012 with the Hyper cap ONLY, from Sound Room for under $200... then that's your best deal for a guaranteed great mic.

The issue with Oktava, in case you didn't know, is that they're RUSSIAN... and the factory is sketchy at best... so if you get a cardioid Oktava from GC, you might get a mic with more hiss then one from Sound Room... which have been HAND SELECTED from the factory... That's what the extra $70 goes to. Is an extra $70 worth it for some guy to hand-pick the best mics of the lot... then test 'em to be certain they're the best?

I guess that's up to you... If you get a GC unit it'll still smoke your in-cam mic so effectively you won't believe it!

The 3 patterns Beas mentions for the Oktava are for different uses with a little overlap of their purpose... in addition to the DESIRED sound it will also "hear" other sounds you may not want. That's why people get shotguns... imagine arrows are the mic, pointed at the thing you want to record... the bubble made by the parentheses is the area you'll mainly get sound from...

Omni (..-->..)

Cardioid --(>.....)

Hyper Cardioid -->(........)

Shotgun -->(.............)

There's a LOT more to it then this, but that gives you a general idea of where to start and why I suggest the hyper-cardioid.

You should continue to research audio and mics if you want to get good results and understand what you did/chose wrong when you don't. Everybody makes the same mistakes and these forums can help keep those to a minimum.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio