Mic input will not record on soundforge or other software after xp pro upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Mic input will not record on soundforge or other software after xp pro upgrade

I have the creative audigy2 zs sound card (with the break-out-box). I am having trouble getting soundforge, goldwave or frankly ANY sound software to recognize the mic input into the card for recording purposes. I recently upgraded from xp home to xp pro and as you would expect some of the programs stopped working, so I reinstalled them. When I plug the 1/4 inch plug from my mic into the sound card I can hear my voice through the speakers, but I cannot get any of my sound editing software to record any vocals through the mic (I am using the AT-897 mic and others). I am new to sound editing, but I figured that a systematic problem must have a systematic cause such as the ASIO feature, but I simply do not know. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone help, I am at a technical dead end?

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #2

As far as Sound Forge is concerned, it might not be seeing the input. Go to Options>Prefs>Wave and switch your input.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Douglas, I have checked the config under options. It has the correct sound card listed under waves (the record option lists my audigy card)
Old July 10th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #4

Have you checked your mixer in your Control Panel Sounds settings? Mic by default, is muted in XP
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I checked sound and audio devices and it is not muted. Also, if it were I would expect that when I speak into the mic I would not be able to hear my voice, which I can. I even tried the basic win recorder in start-->programs-->accessories, and even that does not record from the mic(s).
Old July 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #6

I'd next be checking to see if my mic cable was good, plugged into the right port, and that the volume on the Audigy was up.
Silly things, but as Rosanne Rosannadanna said...."It's always something simple."
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Major Player

The wiring and the cables are connected correctly (I have checked). You're right, it is something simple, and I simply don't know what it is. I am willing to try a few more suggestions before I start the not-so-fun task of uninstalling and reinstalling the various programs. So once again... HELP!
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Maybe you don't have the right input selected?

start --> run --> sndvol32 to bring up the volume control panel.

Go to file --> properties and select recording. Click ok.

There should be a bunch of columns corresponding to your sound card (check that it's your audigy and not the sound card on your motherboard).

Select the right input by clicking the select box under the right column.

Check to see if you can record with window's recorder program, and then Sound Forge.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #9
Major Player

I have tried this option, and the audigy is selected. And still no results. I am using an athlon 64 with viak8t800 chipset. When I had the audigy installed the on board sound card was turned off in bios. At that time I was running xp home. If I can't get any results soon, I will try to re-install the audigy software, and hope for the best.

Thanks
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Just a thought: when you are checking to see if the mike input is muted are you on the record page of the volume control panel? AFAIK the default page that comes up is the one for "Playback".

On the "Volume Control" Panel click "Options --> Properties" and select Recording. Check to see if the Microphone is selected, click OK and check to see if the Microphone input is muted.

I hope this does the trick
Grayson
Grayson L. Wideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Yup, tried it twice, and still no cupie doll.

Thanks
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #12
Major Player

Got it! It works! Douglas, Grayson, Glenn I owe you all a beer. The answer was as Douglas put it "simple". Apparently the line input option that is in play when the creative is being used is called "what U hear" instead of microphone. Once that was selected I was off to the races.

Thanks Guys
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #13

Glad you found it! Great going, and something to file away in the mental database under "Creative weirdness."

I like Tiger. :-)
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio