Lapel Mic for Weddings - Help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Ask yourself this:

"Can I afford to give refunds and lose referrals when my audio turns out unusable because I bought sub-par equipment?"

Wireless kit is the last place to be going cheap.
Jordan Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Block View Post
Ask yourself this:

"Can I afford to give refunds and lose referrals when my audio turns out unusable because I bought sub-par equipment?"

Wireless kit is the last place to be going cheap.
Also relying only on a wireless and not having a backup is bad. (I would rather have to haul a spare tub with cords and cables than to have the wedding start and your wireless system go down)
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Major Player

I have two friends who both use Arzden and both like what they receive form their gear. On another forum board I belong to, the owner/moderator is a fan of Audio-Technica PRO 88W and did a review on it some time back. I bought the new Nady you listed, and have yet to use it. No one has said anything good about it, other than Nady has sold a ton of wireless gear over the years. I look at it as it is going to "get me in the game" at least enough to get a demo done.

I come to this from my main focus of shooting band promo videos for online playback. I have had many conversations with the various performers often relating to the quality of the performance we used the footage from. None of them has complained about what I recorded or how the recording sounded, but ohhhhh the complaints I have heard about so and so messed up a rip or so and so was a bit flat on that song etc etc etc. NO ONE from the audience has EVER told me anything any band has done has sucked and should not be uploaded. NONE of the fans has EVER complained their favorite band was "a little flat" in my videos or the recording sucked.

Bottom line, worry about what your audience is going to see, hear and think, not what the experts think of the brand name you have. Worry about how closely you are matching your competition in quality, for the same price point you are charging. If your target market is the $5000. price point, you better gear up to that quality level. If your target is $1800, gearing up like the house who is doing it for $5000. is just kinda dumb.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Babin View Post
I know people has different experience with products and frankly I am still confused on what to get. My wedding is on the 21st so it right around the corner and it's just my cousins wedding. It's not a huge fancy wedding. Soon I will be able to afford better equipment, but for now I need something just to work for five minutes.

Thanks again everyone!!
Rather than purchase budget equipment and run the risk of marginal performance, why not consider renting a pro quality rig? You'll get much better gear at a fraction of the price. 4 days before a gig is not the time to buy gear for it, especially sight unseen off of eBay. You're just up the road from New Orleans and there's a thriving film industry there with a number of rental houses I'm sure. And professional supply houses like Trew Audio in Nashville are used to renting shipping via overnight Fedex.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
... If your target market is the $5000. price point, you better gear up to that quality level. If your target is $1800, gearing up like the house who is doing it for $5000. is just kinda dumb.
On the other hand it is often said that to get where you want to be, you must look like you're already there.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #21
New Boot

Well B&H has this Azden:

Azden | WMS-PRO VHF Wireless Lavalier Handheld Mic | WMS-PRO

Which Im pretty sure most of yall know of. I can get fast delivery on it and hopefully doesn't give me a problem. I'm stressing!

I dont know of any places around me that rent out gear tho.
Alex Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Well B&H has this Azden:

Azden | WMS-PRO VHF Wireless Lavalier Handheld Mic | WMS-PRO

Which Im pretty sure most of yall know of. I can get fast delivery on it and hopefully doesn't give me a problem. I'm stressing!

I dont know of any places around me that rent out gear tho.
Alex,

I'll post a clip of my weddings vows tonight & post it. I bought that model off Amazon & got it the next day. Either way, I'm sure B&H will ship fast as well. If you want to invest $600, go ahead, if you're satisfied with the results I'll post, you should be ok.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #23
New Boot

Thank you very very much!!!!

Hurry though! haha I need it to order it something tonight!
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #24
Major Player

Alex,

Sorry for the delay (rendering sucks!! Especially when your first try the size is too big). Here is where it's going to be. Will prob take a few minutes for Vimeo to digest. Just the vows portion grabbed arbitrarily, nothing much to it.

http://www.vimeo.com/6155109

FWIW here's the pre-ceremony trailer I had done for it.

http://www.vimeo.com/6155254
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Private video

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
Alex,

Sorry for the delay (rendering sucks!! Especially when your first try the size is too big). Here is where it's going to be. Will prob take a few minutes for Vimeo to digest. Just the vows portion grabbed arbitrarily, nothing much to it.

http://www.vimeo.com/6155109
David,

Vimeo says it is private video. Maybe you can make it public?
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #26
New Boot

No problem man, I appreciate the help! Well I went to it and it says it's private...
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Audio Technica Pro 88

Quote:
Thank you very very much!!!!

Hurry though! haha I need it to order it something tonight!

Alex,

I symphatize with you! I know I need a Senheiser G2 (or now the G3) but can't afford it at this time. I have edited other people's work using the Azden and I can tell you that it has drop-outs and noise/hissing, pops that come just like that with no apparent reason, and at the some of the most inopportune moment! In one wedding I edited for another, the camera with the wireless receiver was just 8ft or so away from the groom who was wearing the Transmitter/mic!! I just don't know what caused that pop and hiss!

Some in our country, some have used the Audio Technica Pro 88. Now, I can vouch for this. It is good. Way ahead of the Azden. Yes, it is VHF, but in my use of this for weddings, only one time did it have a bad hiss. Thank goodness it was in a quiet moment in a part of the wedding where it was not important.

I got this for around U$130 at BHPhoto about 2 years ago. I use rechargeable 9-volt batts and it's seems to work well. 9-volt batts in our country is expensive. It's about 1/3 the price of a 9-volt rechargeble. Might as well pay that 2/3 and not buy rechargebles for the next 3 years!

So, until you can get "up to speed," so to speak financially, maybe you can try this out. I hope others can chime in on this model if it's any good, but I can assure you, that this is 2-3 heads up over the azden! I can't vouch for the interference in your locality as vhf is more susceptible to that, but this is a good model. I know that even movie production outfits use this for some of their shoots.

The bad news is that I just checked at BHPhoto and it's no longer U$130 :( It is now U$199.

Audio-Technica | Pro 88W - Camera Mountable VHF | W88-24-830

This is my limited experience on wireless.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #28
New Boot

Thank you! Well Im about to spend all my savings tonight...yippie. On equipment. I really dont have much but I can at least put in the extra $30 for this one! Thank you again!!!! Im going check it out now!
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #29
New Boot

Holy crap I use this one as well as a back for my company now haha crazy!
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Major Player

Ok, it should be up & avail now.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio