Lav mic and a shotgun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Lav mic and a shotgun

Well, I had posted a question earlier about skimping a little in quatlity for a lav mic and a shotgun, but now I think I'm going to get both at good quality. I'm going to get an AT835b shotgun and a lav microphone. My main question is, can I plug one in one channel and one on the other channel of the GL2?

With the extra expense of purchasing both mics, I really would like to wait on an XLR dual adapter.

So has anyone tried this, plugging a lav in one audio input and a shotgun in the other audio input?

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I was wondering this myself. Your lav is a wireless right?

It should be fine, as you will be recording to two channels and can separate it in post if you need to (hopefully you are find with mxing both into mono...who knows. Can I seperate each channel within Adobe Premiere 6.5?).

But I did wonder about weird hums or echos or what not....
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah I'm good to go, the purchase went well, but I will end up getting a better wireless, mine uses the wire for the antenna, and I've gotten some interferance. BUt thanks for the reply.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Re: Lav mic and a shotgun

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Davis : <snip>
With the extra expense of purchasing both mics, I really would like to wait on an XLR dual adapter.

So has anyone tried this, plugging a lav in one audio input and a shotgun in the other audio input?
</snip> -->>>

So Steven, how are you going to connect the mics to the GL2 since the GL2 has only one external mic input which is a stereo 1/8-in minijack and the AT835B has a XLR connector?

I have found the BeachTek DXA-4P audio adapter to work quite well with the GL2. Around $150 new but you can get them used on eBay much cheaper.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Major Player

I wouild strongly suggest the use of an XLR to 1/8" stereo adapter like the Beachteck or Sign Video two channel on-camera mixers. These devices are engineered to provide the best audio signal transfer to your GL2. You will have much more control of signal quality. Besides, finding a dual XLR-F to 1/8" - M stereo cable adapter that is reliably made will not be an easy task. You may spend more than $150 of your time just locating a supplier!
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
Trustee

There is a 1 ft and a 5 ft cable available, made by Hosatech. I own one and they work. Mine is a 1/8 angled stereo to two female XLR's. The right and left channels are separated. Talk to the salesman at B&H and confirm that this is the correct number. There has been mistakes in the past. (There are so many different cables)

Hosa Tech Cable

Are the left and right channels on your camera individually controlled. ifd not, yopu may have to play around with inline attenuators, in which case a beach would be a wise choice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio