AT897 or CS1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 17th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AT897 or CS1

I have narrowed my mic choices to these two. My most important priority is small room interviews. Which of these would be the best for that application?

I know there is quite a price difference here, and I hope the 897 will be up to the task but I sure don't want to buy it, only to find out that I misspent my money.

Any other input regarding the comparison of these mics is most welcome, as I will ultimately be using it in a variety of applications.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

The CS1 is the EASY winner. Trust me. You get what you pay for. Also that mic belongs to a small class of mics that have incredible off-axis rejection and the lack of an audible tail (rear pick-up) which is common in cheaper shotguns.

If budget isn't considered then it's not even a fair comparison. CS-1s are being used in Hollywood and on professional sets all over the country. The 897 is a great mic, but it's not anywhere near the same class.

CS-1 vs. the At4073a would have been far more realistic. Maybe you should check out the 4073a because it IS in the class of a CS-1 and it's considered a very good value at the price.

Still, for interiors the CS-1 would easily beat the 4073a. For exteriors it'll be the other way around.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Trustee

I agree with the comparison of shotguns that Matt outlined. I would add though that for small room interviews it's tough to beat a good lav like the AT899 unless this is strictly run and gun with no time to rig the mic on the subject.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Trustee

I could email a cs-1 clip showing it's awsome off axis characteristics and i also have an 899 clip available as well.
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I was hoping the 897 would not be so heavily outclassed by the CS1 but everyone wants a bargain, I guess.

BTW, I didn't mention it because I was looking for shotgun advice but I do plan to use a wired lav when possible.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio