Basic advice needed for digital recording/laptop/XM2 setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #1
New Boot

Basic advice needed for digital recording/laptop/XM2 setup

Hi!

Different threads offer good advice on this for which I am very thankful, however I am very new to 'improved' audio and seeking a little reassurance!

I'm aiming to get equipped to use my Powerbook for recording broadcast quality audio - primarily for studio voiceover, vocals and solo music, yet also in the field for video purposes.

I would ideally like the flexibility to be able to use any mics/mixers etc. with the cam on its own too.

This is what I am considering...:

Have - Powerbook, XM2

Get hold of - Indigo IO card for the laptop, Samson Mixpad 4, Studio Projects C1 mic (or another one I can almost afford!).

I figure I could then use the mic, Mixpad and Powerbook and have top notch sound in a booth.

Also I figure I could then use the same setup in the field or use the Mixpad and mic (or whatever mics etc) with the XM2 itself.

Does this make sense or have I missed something glaringly obvious? I am still trying to get to grips with how everything sits together and the 'quality/cost' curve, so any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Phil ;-)
Phil Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #2

Phil,
you're on the right track. The Indigo I/O is absolutely the best sound card of its type for laptops. The SPC1 is a good genpurpose mic as well, so you should be set.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Douglas! The Indigo does look ideal from what I've managed to find out so far. I'm going to take the plunge over the next couple of weeks I think, after a bit more investigation into mixers and the like.

Thanks again,

Phil ;-)
Phil Christopher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio