DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need advice on audio setup! Please help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30190-need-advice-audio-setup-please-help.html)

Jake Sawyer August 6th, 2004 05:01 PM

Need advice on audio setup! Please help!

Hi, I'm going to buy a Canon GL2 and I know that audio is so imperative to the footage that I don't want to skimp on it. So, I've come up with a audio list that I have come up with to buy, but I need some advice. Here's the list so far:

AT4073A Microphone

BeachTek DXA-6 Adapter

XLR cables

Now, onto the questions.

1. Firstly, for right now I'll just mount my microphone onto the camera. Will I need anything else to fit the microphone onto the camera? Or any other assessories?

2. Is the BT DXA-6 adapter good enough? Or would it be better to buy the DXA-8? What are the differences/advantages between the two? I haven't figured out all the audio lingo etc. But, I'm trying.

3. What about the XLR cables? Is there a brand that you would recommend. What do I need? Just XLR to XLR cables? Or XLR Male to XLR Female?

4. Lastly, is there anything I'm missing? Would you recommend a certain assessory to make my audio even more professional? Or will that list be good enough?

Thanks.

Bryan Beasleigh August 6th, 2004 06:39 PM

Re: Need advice on audio setup! Please help!

"1. Firstly, for right now I'll just mount my microphone onto the camera. Will I need anything else to fit the microphone onto the camera? Or any other assessories?"

The mic will need a decent shock mount. The cheapest way out for a shoe mount is the AT8415 and the shoe adapter. That'll set you back $60 at B&H. click here The shoe adapter is shown as the first accessory here

The best mount for the money is the K-Tek KSSM or the KSM with the soft rubber. It's important that you ask for the soft rubber. Trew Audio is the best person to deal with on this mount. The mount is $110 plus you'll need a shoe adapter.
KSMS
Trew Audio seem to have the best expertise and the best price on the KSSM Trew Audio KSSM link

There is a K-Tek like the KSSM which is shoe mount only it is $85 and you won't require the shoe mount.
KCAM-SSM($75) KCAM-SM(also $75)

"2. Is the BT DXA-6 adapter good enough? Or would it be better to buy the DXA-8? What are the differences/advantages between the two? I haven't figured out all the audio lingo etc. But, I'm trying."

I'd go the extra and get the gain and limiters, For the extra $100. Do a search on this forum. You may also want to read a review that I did

"3. What about the XLR cables? Is there a brand that you would recommend. What do I need? Just XLR to XLR cables? Or XLR Male to XLR Female?"

For on Camera you'll only need a one foot female to male XLR. If you're going off camera than any length you need to get the job done. Also a hot shoe mount only shock mount will be a waste. The K-tek KSSM, KSM, AT 8415 all fit a boom pole or stand mount.

"4. Lastly, is there anything I'm missing? Would you recommend a certain assessory to make my audio even more professional? Or will that list be good enough? "

I'd buy a mighty wondercam mini rover for $50 from B&H. Do a search on it. It'll make your setup more stable and easier to hang onto. Here is the B&H link
Here is the best illustration,look at the bottom of the linked page

Ignore the high prices on the last link, they're in canadian dollars. Some will tell you to buy a $13 flash bracker. Go ahead, all $13 will buy is a cheap a$$ed bracket and not a mini rover. There is a biiiiiig difference.

You want to hear a 4073 Matt's demo 4073 vs MKH416(in that order)

and Matt's mic sample's
My samples

Jake Sawyer August 7th, 2004 04:39 PM

Re: Re: Need advice on audio setup! Please help!

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : "1. Firstly, for right now I'll just mount my microphone onto the camera. Will I need anything else to fit the microphone onto the camera? Or any other assessories?"

The mic will need a decent shock mount. The cheapest way out for a shoe mount is the AT8415 and the shoe adapter. That'll set you back $60 at B&H. click here The shoe adapter is shown as the first accessory here

The best mount for the money is the K-Tek KSSM or the KSM with the soft rubber. It's important that you ask for the soft rubber. Trew Audio is the best person to deal with on this mount. The mount is $110 plus you'll need a shoe adapter.
KSMS
Trew Audio seem to have the best expertise and the best price on the KSSM Trew Audio KSSM link

There is a K-Tek like the KSSM which is shoe mount only it is $85 and you won't require the shoe mount.
KCAM-SSM($75) KCAM-SM(also $75)

"2. Is the BT DXA-6 adapter good enough? Or would it be better to buy the DXA-8? What are the differences/advantages between the two? I haven't figured out all the audio lingo etc. But, I'm trying."

I'd go the extra and get the gain and limiters, For the extra $100. Do a search on this forum. You may also want to read a review that I did

"3. What about the XLR cables? Is there a brand that you would recommend. What do I need? Just XLR to XLR cables? Or XLR Male to XLR Female?"

For on Camera you'll only need a one foot female to male XLR. If you're going off camera than any length you need to get the job done. Also a hot shoe mount only shock mount will be a waste. The K-tek KSSM, KSM, AT 8415 all fit a boom pole or stand mount.

"4. Lastly, is there anything I'm missing? Would you recommend a certain assessory to make my audio even more professional? Or will that list be good enough? "

I'd buy a mighty wondercam mini rover for $50 from B&H. Do a search on it. It'll make your setup more stable and easier to hang onto. Here is the B&H link
Here is the best illustration,look at the bottom of the linked page

Ignore the high prices on the last link, they're in canadian dollars. Some will tell you to buy a $13 flash bracker. Go ahead, all $13 will buy is a cheap a$$ed bracket and not a mini rover. There is a biiiiiig difference.

You want to hear a 4073 Matt's demo 4073 vs MKH416(in that order)

and Matt's mic sample's
My samples -->>>

Thanks for the advice! Now, on the adapter I won't need anything else if I got the DXA-8? Are those two extra features really that important? Thanks.