DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Anyone know of a program for PC that's like Garageband?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/30475-anyone-know-program-pc-thats-like-garageband.html)

Kyle Kauss August 13th, 2004 10:21 AM

Anyone know of a program for PC that's like Garageband??

I want to make some of my own music and I know with garageband you can hook up a USB keyboard and go to work but I'm wondering if there's a program for the PC like that???

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 13th, 2004 10:27 AM

Yeah, it's Sony's ACID. In fact, some of the same people that worked on ACID also were part of the creation of Garageband.

Kyle Kauss August 13th, 2004 10:59 AM

really I have an older version of ACID I'll look it up thanks

any other suggestions would be great to.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 13th, 2004 11:06 AM

Sonar, Nuendo both have Garageband-like properties as well.
ACID, Sonar, and Nuendo are all far less limited, and more difficult to use than Garageband.

Kyle Kauss August 13th, 2004 12:51 PM

What about Reason?? do you know anything about that program??

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 13th, 2004 01:16 PM

Reason is a great tool, but not really Garageband-like. it can trigger samples, loops, or notes assigned to a soft synth. Same with Cakewalk's Project 5 tool.

Robert Knecht Schmidt August 13th, 2004 03:11 PM

I don't think anyone's mentioned FruityLoops yet.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 13th, 2004 03:17 PM

Oops...Fruityloops!
They are pretty good too, from what little I know. When Cakewalk first started distributing Fruityloops with Cake 9, I played with them a little. But then the new ACID came out, Reason came out, and soon after, Sonar 1 came out. All of the above made me not need/want to use any more third party or plugs when I didn't need to. But they do make a great tool, no doubt.

Ignacio Rodriguez August 13th, 2004 03:35 PM

There is also Ableton Live. It seems not as easy to use but people I know who use Reason and Acid are moving on to Live.

Kyle Kauss August 13th, 2004 04:06 PM

I just got a copy of reason 2.5 off of ebay
and I want to get Acid 4.0
I also have to get the USB keyboard as well any recomondations on a keyboard?? The apple store by my house has a couple from $100 to $200 they all seem to do a lot of the same thing though.

By the way thanks for all the input I've gotten some good ideas from you all.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 13th, 2004 04:10 PM

Low cost, USB keyboards can be gotten from M-Audio and from Edirol. I like the M-Audio Oxygen for travel, and the Radium for Studio use. I don't have an Edirol.

Kyle Kauss August 13th, 2004 04:40 PM

Great that's what the mac store has are models similar to that I'll have to pick one up this weekend. Thanks!!

Kyle Kauss August 14th, 2004 09:48 AM

So when I get a Keyboard can I select an intrument on Acid or Reason and play the notes on the keyboard for it like garageband and then loop them???

Kyle Kauss August 16th, 2004 10:05 AM

Okay now one other question???

I got a keyboard (the M Audio Keystation 49e )
So once I get my programs (I have Reason 2.5, acid pro 4.0 and sound forge 7.0 on the way) will I be able to play different instuments on my keyboard and be able to record them like in garageband?? like can I tell the keyboard to play drums so it'll play drums so I can record them??

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 16th, 2004 10:12 AM

You can't tell the keyboard to play drums, but you can point the keys on the keyboard to drum sounds, which is effectively the same thing. the 49e doesn't have sounds in it, so it's just a controller, and yes, it can control/trigger drum sounds in the various applications you've mentioned. Sound Forge will only let you trigger sounds/samples, not full blown instruments.
Reason has a relatively tough learning curve, ACID will be up and running in minutes. Reason does more than ACID, so it stands to logic that it will be more challenging to master.