Recording Concert Music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Recording Concert Music

Hey

I am interested in finding out if anyone here has any experience in recording audio at concerts. The question of doing a direct output from the mixing board into the camera is out of the question. So I am wondering what mic I should get. I am looking for a mic that IS NOT XLR. I thought about getting a shotgun mic, but I dont know if that will focus only on the area that the camera is pointing, and not the music around it, ect. Also I will be kinda cloce to the speakers, so will there be feedback...hope you can help.
Thanks
David Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:39 PM   #2

Use the sound board. It's the only real way to accomplish this.
Usually, they can feed you an aux mix of the show, or have a separate feed that their master levels won't affect. MONITOR and TEST inputs prior to critical showtime so you know what your camera is going to do with the audio. Disable your AGC. Make sure peaks never hit 0dB. Be there at soundcheck.

[edit] just re-read your post...sorry. I thought you said using the soundboard WASN'T out of the question.

No quality mic will not be XLR. You need an adapter to modify the XLR output to mini/3.5mm.

How about some more information about the room?
You can't possibly have feedback unless YOUR mic is also feeding the house sound.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
New Boot

The camera I am using only has a mini-mic input...how do i get a output from the sound board?
David Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:08 AM   #4

you'll use an adaptor from Hosa, Audio Technica, Mogami, or Monster to convert the XLR to 1/8 (3.5mm)
You can get these at many radio shacks, here is a link to one at B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=252978&is=REG

If your cable run is more than 10 feet or so, you'll need to use a direct box to keep the noise out.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio