Sound Forge crashes Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Sound Forge crashes Vegas

I really like the way you can open a copy of a Vegas clip in Sound Forge, edit it, and return to Vegas with it as a "take" for comparison. Or at least, I like the theory of it all. However, at this point I'm only able to open a clip in Sound Forge, but not as a copy that will then become a "take." If I try to open a copy, Vegas crashes. I literally shuts down and returns me to the desktop. At one point (sorry, it's late... don't remember when exactly) I got a message that I was low on memory. But I have 1 1/2 gigs of RAM and when I check in the Task Manager, I'm not seeing anything unusual going on.

Anybody had this problem before?
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM   #2
Major Player

If it'll work after a reboot and the problem doesn't come back right away, you may be OK. If not, something is eating your memory. First thing I'd do would be to look for spyware or a trojan in the system. We've had trouble with that at home lately, so I'm still on my toes.
If you have had open an image editor or something and left huge files in memory, they should go away in the reboot.
Another line of thought - if Sound Forge and Vegas compete for the same resources, that could be it. But I would have expected them to let you know if this was the case. Could they be trying to use two different soundcards, that share memory or irq? That could produce the error you get.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #3

Marcia,
Do you have all ofyour RAM being eaten up by Vegas?
Preferences>Video...
Set it lower, and that should fix it.
Also, be sure your graphics acceleration isn't to full in your Control panel/Display settings.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Major Player

OK, lowered the RAM eventually to 50 (I'd had it MUCH higher and gradually brought it back down) but it didn't do any good. And I can't find anywhere in my display settings a tab under XP in my contrl panel>display settings that allows me to check, let alone change, what the graphics accelerator card is set to. Under the GForce tab even there's nothing. I have the Nvidia 5200 with 128mg... should I try buying/installing a different card? Very frustrating.

Also, when I open the file in Sound Forge (vs a copy in Sound Forge, which is what I've been trying to do obviously, so it's "non-destructive") what's the best to save it as, in terms or format, to use to bring back into Sound Forge and replace the "bad" clip with the "good" newly tweaked clip? It opens as an .avi in S.F. Will saving it as another .avi make two video files on my drive (since it opens with the video appearing)? My concern is that I don't have unlimited space and there's a LOT of "bad" audio I'll be needing to fix, so I don't have the room to have basically duped files (one original and one fixed). If, on the other hand, I save it as a .wav (and if I should, which one?) do I then just import the save file into Sound Forge and lay it back over the old?

Wish I had the $$ to hire someone for this part. I'm really flying blind trying to cut "picture" under a deadline and learn Sound Forge on the fly. The "Instant Sound Forge" book is very useful, but not exactly in-depth (not its intent, of course).

Marcia
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #5

Open Copy in Sound Forge. (Right click on audio in Vegas to do this)

In Forge, once you're done with the processing, remember to never CUT audio, only Mute to lose a section, just close Forge. It will ask you if you want to save. Say "YES" and that's it. It will assign a Take2 to the original filename, and place it on the Vegas timeline with sample accuracy
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Spot, as per the original post on this thread, what you suggest here is what I've been trying to do, only Vegas crashes as soon as I try. It does not crash when I just hit "open in Sound Forge." It does crash when I hit "open a copy in Sound Forge." That's what has left me so frustrated.

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle :

Open Copy in Sound Forge. (Right click on audio in Vegas to do this)

In Forge, once you're done with the processing, remember to never CUT audio, only Mute to lose a section, just close Forge. It will ask you if you want to save. Say "YES" and that's it. It will assign a Take2 to the original filename, and place it on the Vegas timeline with sample accuracy -->>>
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

hmm..

the copy is running off a virtual proxy as opposed to opening the WHOLE CLIP in SF..
make sure ur temp settings have at least 3 times the storage space of the file ur tryin to open.....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio