DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW 500 drop out (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/31403-sennheiser-ew-500-drop-out.html)

Richard Lewis September 4th, 2004 06:31 PM

Sennheiser EW 500 drop out

Hi, just bought a second hand set of Sennheiser radio mics. Body pack transmitter and receiver.
Filmed a wedding today and unfortunately I seen to have got a lot of audio drop out.
I had the lapel set up on the groom, and unfortunately I missed some key points.
However fortunately for me, I had a second camera operator, so I can salvage some of the audio.
Now, I’m almost convinced that there is a problem with the sets, and I feel that I am going to return / exchange them.
But, I thought id just check with you guys first (not being an expert in the audio field)

P.S. I'm using new batteries.

Mike Rehmus September 4th, 2004 11:59 PM

Not enough info to give you an informed opinion. I don't have problems with my Senn unless someone has a cell phone, a competing wireless, or there is a large electrical disturbance near-by. A photographer's strobe could do this too.

Has nothing to do with diversity, it has to do with a very broad-spectrum interference.

But if you had the antennae firmly screwed in, I don't see a problem from that area (assuming the antennae are the correct units for the frequency range of your units, they are different).

Jay Massengill September 5th, 2004 11:45 AM

It could also be a problem with the lav, its cable or connector.
The location of the receiver, and its relation to the transmitter also have a strong influence on reliable pickup.
Have you tried a different frequency and can you check for local UHF sources of interference such as TV broadcasting stations in your area?

Mike Rehmus September 5th, 2004 12:19 PM

Good point, Jay. I always place the transmitter in the groom's rear pocket or hang from the middle point of his belt in the back. That way the antenna has a clear shot to my receiver.

I purchased a spare microphone, cables and antennae for my Sennheiser outfit just in case one of them breaks (or one of the darned little antennas is lost.)

Oleg Kaizerman September 5th, 2004 01:52 PM

http://www.blackboxvideo.com/BOOSTER.JPG

you can add this one and shoot from other side of the town :-)

keep the antenna as much as posible from the body , check avalible fq in your reria or bring a scaner to check on spot
use fresh baterias , check if there large metal obsticals around , the multiply regection could couse dropouts , keep the wieu between the antenas as clean as possible , some cameras had bad influence on reception.

Richard Lewis September 5th, 2004 01:59 PM

Thanks for the responses, but i do feel that there is a fault with the set.

I was no more than 10m away from the groom.

It was intermittent drop out, it was fine for the first 5 mins, the a few seconds drop out, then we got all the way through a hymn, n then it went off for about 30 seconds.

Going to speak to the place I bought it from tomorrow. I’ll probably end up changing it for the Sennheiser ew112-p
For someone who doesn’t need all the bells n whistles, I would have thought they would be just as good? (I know not as robust though)

P.S. they only have a 30 day second hand guarantee, so I can’t really persevere, I’ve had them for 20 days already.

Jay Massengill September 5th, 2004 06:12 PM

That actually does sound like a problem with the lav, cable or connector. It's really unlikely to have an RF dropout that long. Perhaps you could wrangle a new lav to use if they'll extend your testing period and see if that clears it up.

Richard Lewis September 6th, 2004 01:21 PM

Good point Jay, I hadn’t thought of it in that way.
New plan though. I've sent them to Sennheiser UK (under the instructions of the supplier, who have booked them in for "urgent" attention.) they are going to check the sets over for any problems. If there are none, I'll take Jays advice and try a new lav.

Matt Gettemeier September 6th, 2004 06:16 PM

Hmm... just make sure you follow up on this thread or at least let us know when you get a new set and test it out.

Richard Lewis September 7th, 2004 12:35 PM

Will do.

Richard Lewis September 15th, 2004 10:24 AM

Thought I'd keep my word, and follow up...

Just got my the mics back form Sennheiser UK, sent via
www.creativevideo.co.uk who's customer service is amazing.

It would appear that there was something wrong with my frequencies. I also believe that they have ajusted my squeltch (I'm sure that means something to you guys)

Anyway, just had a quick play, and they appear to be working.
I'll do a proper test this weekend.

Best regards,

John DeLuca September 15th, 2004 12:51 PM

I own the ew 500 packs

I own the ew 500 packs myself. Im almost certain its the squelch setting(you can adjust it yourself depending on your range). Also on senns web site, they have a print off of the radio stations that are in use in YOUR AREA that would cause interference, I would print that off if I was you, and avoid the channels in the chart. If you had the cheap mics, you wouldnt be having this problem, because they dont have all the manual control the expensive mics have. My advice to you........learn your gear better. Put the squelch in the middle and keep it somewhat close to your target, use the chart on the web site for a clean channel. It could always be the wire itself too, so keep that in mind, if kinked enough, they will drop out, so wrap them around somthing round like a 35mm film container.

John

Richard Lewis September 15th, 2004 02:33 PM

I still don't know what squeltch is..... lol

Richard Lewis September 15th, 2004 02:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Lewis : I still don't know what squelch is..... lol -->>>

Richard Lewis September 15th, 2004 02:36 PM

Ok,....Ok. I miss spelt "squelch".......u don't need to tell the world.