The "Jimmybox" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #16
Trustee

I can see where your problem is. The bottom of the 'grip" is slotted and you have a round locking collar. i'm assuming that this is where the tripod screws onto.

People scoff at the though of spending $50 on the Mini Rover. Well the Rover base is 5mm aluminum with a 1mm cork pad by 1 3/4" wide. The rover attached to the tripod socket by meqns if a countersunk screw. The base has an alignment pin as well, to ensure a solid and well aligned fit.

There is a threaded 1/4" tripod mount with an alignment hole, 1/2" inboard of the camera tripod screw.

It's flat just like the earth and rock solid too, but there are those that claim a $12 cheapo flash bracket will do the job. The problem is with the rigidity of the locking collar and the attached mounting holes.

My quick connect plates are 2 1/2 hex, 2 1/4" X 4 1/2" and 2"X 5 1/2" , all metal and built like a tank. Again people snear and shake their head at my frivolous expenditures, claiming they can do the same for but a fraction of the cost.

I do know that Matt goes the best way and certainly not the cheap way. He's a fellow member and a co-founder of GSA International. I can also see where an open box could flex, for that reason I'm still looking at the Barcket 1

Youse uses a cheap and dirty quick connect or bracket and youse pays da price old son (Newfanese dialect).
Old September 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #17
Major Player

I'll get a lot better look at the rover pretty soon. I did a lot of shooting with a buddy of mine this weekend and he was using the mini-rover while I was using the stratos bracket... I originally would have considered them to be equals, but maybe the rover is a superior design in this respect. The stratos bracket is really thick at the bottom but there is a slot running down it for the cam to be locked anywhere along the length... that "thumbwheel" is 2" in diameter and knurled... so it locks the cam down REALLY tight... that thumbwheel also fits under the bracket so that when the cam is locked into position it eliminates the gap anyway!

I guess I'll just have to try out the rover... Like I said, if you guys were here you may slap me saying, "THAT'S what you're talking about?" But I can't help it... I get pissed at anything less then perfection.

The stratos was $39.95 and the rover was $49.95... so trust me... I didn't go with the stratos 'cause it was cheaper... I thought it looked and felt good.

My mic bag is worth more then my camera... so I'm not worried about spending $50 to get a rover... I just want to be sure it's perfect in function.

EDIT: It's an hour later and I've got a solution... the stratos bracket is 12mm thick at the thick part and 6mm thick in the "thin" part and it's all billet aluminum from aircraft stock... so strength isn't the issue... I was using the thumbwheel to lock down the cam forcing it off center and using one of the threaded holes in the 12mm section to hold the mic... which WAS at center. After playing with it for about 15 minutes I see I can go to Sears and buy a 1/4" allen bolt and run it through the tripod's quick-release plate... through the bracket's 12mm section... and into the cam... I'll leave the shotgun stick out to the side... if it slightly vibrates who cares? Problem solved.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio