Good wireless lav solutions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good wireless lav solutions

I am looking for a good wireless lav system under $1000 (I believe lectrosonics is out of the question at this point...).

Specifically, I've been looking at the Sennheiser Evolution G2 systems. I see that there are 100, 300, and 500 series systems. What is the difference between these? Is the difference a question of wireless range or one of sound quality?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Any ideas?
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Evolution 100 series G3 would be the one (G2 is now discontinued).

300 series is mains receivers only as is 500 series.

500 series G2 has been replaced by 2000 series (this is top end G3).

The G3 and 2000 series camera receivers are now diversity (G2 was not).

I hope this helps.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You may also consider looking for used Lectro units...

G3 should be pretty good though. Still haven't heard from anyone who's used it much.
Alex Donkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Donkle View Post
G3 should be pretty good though. Still haven't heard from anyone who's used it much.
Not surprising really, the G3 camera sets only came out very recently (this month I think).
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Inner Circle

not yet but soon. Prolly in Sept.

I have the 2000 body mic and AC powered rack receiver coming in for a review for TV Technology.

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I have the 2000 body mic and AC powered rack receiver coming in for a review for TV Technology.
This is top end G3 with a 75MHz switching window.
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Inner Circle

BTW,

I asked them to send an MKE1 and MKE2 so I could hear the difference.

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

John's being quite modest really. The Sennheiser evo series from the first generation through to what I've heard about the G3 don't generate negative comments at all. From the users perspective, a system that can to a large degree be mixed and matched acording to needs, on top of decent quality, reliable electronics. Sennheiser made a sensible choice to offer a system where the more expensive ones were not better, quality wise, just had extra features with proper benefits. So a basic system that would never be required to change frequency or even be fiddled with was pretty cheap, price for price - but if you were touring and wanted quick access to the channels on either your license, then the higher ranges offer pre-programmed banks of channels and useful indicators on the display to show what is happening. There are cheaper systems on the market, but I've not bought any alternatives since I started using them on the first ones. I'm a happy user.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Natan:

Do some searching on here for the G2 threads and you can get a wealth of information.

I use it regularly with good results.
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Inner Circle

If you're willing to invest a few hundred more, you can get Audio Technica's ATW-1821 for about $1300. It will provide two wireless systems with a pair of body packs and a diversity receiver that will reduce dropouts to almost zero.

It also has a scanning feature that helps you select a clean channel to minimize the possibility of interference. That's saved me a few times.

The stock lav mics are OK but to get the most out of it, I'd recommend the AT899CW lavs. They're $170 each but they sound very good.
Old August 28th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dean, I use the AT1821 and it is an awesome system. I use Countryman EMWs but the 899s are very good mics. I think the 1821 is great value for dollar spent.
More people should look into the system. I really don't think the Sennheiser systems offer anything more than the AT and for the money youd'd spend on 2 you can get the AT.
As you can tell, I love the system.
Thanks for mentioning it
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Dean, I use the AT1821 and it is an awesome system. I use Countryman EMWs but the 899s are very good mics. I think the 1821 is great value for dollar spent.
I have four wireless lavs feeding an Edirol R-44 and that allows me to get most of the key people aboard a typical fishing boat. I've used that a few times and so far it's worked nicely. I use time-of-day timecode to help sync camera with audio media in post.

The signals come through rock solid.

The receivers and recorder are mounted in a Pelican case and there's a short carbon fiber mast that supports all four antennas about 18" above the case. This makes it fairly compact and weather resistant.

Right now the receivers and recorder are powered with a nano-lithium battery pack I built. Runs for 5 hours. I'll come up with an arrangement that has more amp-hours which will save me from having to swap batteries at all if possible.

AT has a longer antenna which provides a bit more gain than the stock antennas. I had a kid fishing along the shoreline about 150 yards away and the signal was clean. I wasn't rolling at the time but it was an easy way to keep track of him when he wandered off. Sort of a one-way radio monitor. It was across the water with no obstructions. The transmitter was behind him, but that didn't seem to attenuate the signal much.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Generally, when discussing wireless lavalier systems, does the final sound quality of the recording (including the amount of noise/hiss and everything that would be considered quality) depend more on the microphone used or on the receiver and transmitter? When different systems are compared, is the only relevant info the quality of the receiver and the transmitter (and their capacity to transmit a clear signal without interference), with the idea that any lav mic can be used to improve the sound quality of system?
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Inner Circle

you need both. A good Xmitter and Receiver combination and quality mics. The better the system the better it will sound. The better the mic, the better it will sound. Now you can use a good system with not so mics and it would be better than using a low end system with top line mics but the better stuff you use the better the audio is.
Also keep in mind that SOME noise is from the camera itself (if you're going directly into the camera without a field mixer or seperate recorder). Depends on the settings you use on the camera among other things.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio