Help with my wireless mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with my wireless mic

I have just purchace a new wireless mic set (Audio-technica ATR288W) to go with my Canon GL2. It only has two user-switchable frequencies. I used it for the first time yesterday to tape myself teaching a class. I was about 20 feet from my GL2 when taping. Here is my problem; When I listen and watched the recording there was a lot of static on the tape. Is there any thing I can do to get rid of the static? I am doing a wedding soon and I sure don't want that on the tape. Thanks for any help
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Dumb question but was the transmitter ON when you did this or where you just shooting with a RX unit that was ON and a TX unit that was OFF?

Next, batteries, check that both units have a new cell!

Ok now for one that might "getcha" what frequency are these units on? Is the TX and the RX unit both on the same channel AND (I don't care about the FCC channel like 171.5875) but the Channel number that is on those units.

What I'm looking for is to match up the RF channel in the units with what TV stations are in your area. If you're on channel 2 and there is a channel 2 in your area, guess what you're going to have a problem. I used to be a dealer for AT products and this was my first question to all my customers, they didn't understand then but they appreciated it afterwards.

OK last thing, are you using the correct plug to plug in to your GL2? If I recall correctly you need to have a MONO plug going into the camera so that it sees audio on both channels, a stereo plug will leave one channel free for either noise or nothing or may not work at all.

I (and many other users) use an on camera mixer such as the XRL-PRO, that unit uses a stereo plug to make sure that you can feed 1 channel or mic into the left and 1 into the right without them mixing.

The 1/8" mini plug in stereo should have dual black bands at the tip of the connector seperated by a small distance. This is your Tip, your Ring and your sleeve in your casse since you don't have a mixer you should be running MONO into the cam or 1 black band at the tip of the connector.

The range on your AT "optimally" should be about 1000', I've seen however less but 20 is ridiculous unless your getting blasted by on channel interference.

Tell us what you find!

Miguel Lombana
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Miguel, I think I am using a stereo plug. I will try a MONO plug. Thanks again for your input, it was very helpful

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #4
Wrangler

The stereo plug is probably wired to have the output go to both channels...so it is likely OK.

Since I cannot be sure what you mean by static (obvious RF noise as oppose to audio distortion). I believe you need to be sure it is truly RF noise and not audio distortion.

Miguel is certainly right about sources for RF noise. Besides TV stations (and possibly cable TV) I would add that some computer gear can also cause interference too. Try using your system in a number of different locales and see if you still have the problem.

Another problem might be that you have the audio set wrong on your camera. I cannot remember if there is a line input on the GL2 or not. If not set the GL2 ATT20 position and see if that helps.

Hope this helps,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Nat, I will try that.

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio