DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Shotgun Mike for the HD10U? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/31737-shotgun-mike-hd10u.html)

Tom Aellis September 11th, 2004 06:52 AM

Shotgun Mike for the HD10U?

Good Morning.

Just ordered my 10U and could use some recommendations for
a shotgun mike. I'm pretty hip on the Shure.

Can anyone recomend a solid model and dealer. I use
B&H for almost everything.

Thanks tons in advance.

Mark Paschke September 11th, 2004 11:37 PM

I use a Sennheiser ME66, and seem to do pretty decent.

One cool thing I have noticed is I can pick up faint things from far, far away plain as can be or stand infront of a Karaoke speaker thats cranked up and it will automatically adjust to the same volumes in post editing and sparkling clean.

At times I get a strange echo type sound though but I think this is a HD10 bug thats been described in other posts here, or strange circumstances caused by my imaturity as a filmaker

Tom Aellis September 13th, 2004 04:25 AM

Thank you Mark

Thanks for taking the time.
Best,
Tom

Troy Tiscareno September 13th, 2004 04:59 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Paschke : I use a Sennheiser ME66, and seem to do pretty decent.

At times I get a strange echo type sound though -->>>

That's usually due to using the mic in an enclosed space. Shotgun mics don't reject reflected sound well, so if you're using the mic somewhere that has a lot of reflected sound (in a downtown area between buildings, against a wall of some type, and of course, anywhere indoors), you run the risk of picking up those reflections. This is why cardioid mics are used for booms indoors, and shotguns for outside.

-Troy

Matt Gettemeier September 14th, 2004 08:05 PM

Will you have phantom power on tap?

If the answer is "no" then you're pretty much limited to either the Audio Technica 897 or Sennheiser me66 (series)...

If you do have phantom going then I'd strongly suggest you have a listen to the Audio Technica 4073a.

I owned both the me66 and 4073a and the AT is a much superior mic. It will have less "echo" because it has much more side and rear rejection. The pattern is smoother and the frequency response is more natural.

For those who already own an me66 I'd say you can keep it and be happy... but if you're about to buy a new mic the 4073a is only $80 more then the me66... and the difference in sound is immense.

Again, if you DON'T have phantom then the me66 is a solid choice... basically the 897 will sound warmer, but with weaker output... so it's somewhat of a trade-off with those two.

Bryan Beasleigh September 14th, 2004 11:55 PM

What is a 10U ?

Matt Gettemeier September 15th, 2004 05:59 AM

JVC HD cam.

Tom Aellis September 15th, 2004 08:17 AM

Thank you tons!!!!

Thanks