DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which Mic for on-cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/32092-mic-cam.html)

Stephen M. Crawford September 17th, 2004 02:04 PM

Which Mic for on-cam?

I'm considering a number of possible new microphones for my cameras, and wondered if anyone had opinions on those below. I have never used any of them so would purely have to make a choice on recommendation? Unless I can get a dealer to loan me one to try for a month I don't know what will be best. Sure I could hire and evaluate but I don't have time. Yeah, I can look at the response and patterns etc. but it's not like actually using one.

I must admit the flexibility of the Sennheiser K6 system with an ME67 & ME66 is quite attractive and for the price of the microphones below I could buy most of the K6 system, but will it be good enough? Weddings, Corporate and I'm currently making a documentary for broadcast. Current mic is great but just not good enough - Beyer MCE 86N.

So this is for a single top quality microphone to compliment the other hand held (Senn MD46) and lavelliers (Senn MKE 2 Gold). This will be mostly on-camera and might be used on a pole occasionally. I need to get best bang for my buck - as always

Options are...

SENNHEISER MKH60
SENNHEISER MKH416
AUDIO TECHNICA AT4071A
AUDIO TECHNICA AT4073A

Or should I go with the K6... all comments appreciated.

Jay Massengill September 17th, 2004 02:22 PM

I would definitely recommend the 4073a over the K6/ME66. I feel the 4073a is really the minimum quality mic you should be considering. I've never used a 4071a so I can't comment there.
The 416 and its lighter, newer brother the MKH-60 are excellent mics. Certainly worth the money if you have it. If you will primarily use it camera mounted there are two ways to look at this. Do you want to spend that much money on a great mic that will be handicapped by keeping it on the camera? Or is it worth the extra money for a better mic to help overcome some of that handicap?
Check the threads here for links to sound clips that members have posted.

Matt Gettemeier September 17th, 2004 03:24 PM

What camera? Do you have phantom power? What is your primary intention regarding audio that is captured on-cam? Indoor vs. outdoor? How much of each?

Don't get the me66. I had one for close to 2 years. When I replaced it with a 4073a the difference was so great I couldn't believe how underrated the 4073a is. Everybody knows about the me66, but few people realize that the 4073a is a WAY better mic in EVERY way... it's even better then the me67 in EVERY way.

If budget isn't really an issue then I'd get the 416. If it is an issue get the 4073a. In a booming environment you'd appreciate the 4073a with it's switchable low cut... with the 416 you're stuck with full range response.

The 416 is one of my favorite mics... but there's no denying the bang for the buck of the 4073a.

Hey I just checked B&H and I must be bragging this mic up too much! They no longer advertise their incredibly good price on this mic! My guess is that all the little guys are sick of hearing me quote a B&H price (on this particular mic) that they can't touch?

Stephen M. Crawford September 17th, 2004 04:16 PM

Thanks chaps, good advice. Cameras are Sony DSR500, JVC GY DV500 & Sony PD-170's. The mic will mainly be for the DSR and for the JVC occasionally. So yeah I have phantom.

Indoor vs outdoor... hmm 40/60 I suppose. I too liked the switchable low cut idea... and as you say the 4073a is a lot cheaper! Budget is always an issue when your setting up a business I would have thought, especially when personally funded, and unfortunately my funds and equipment budget have a finite limit! So it's looking like the 4073a is looking like favorite at the moment. If I save a couple of hundred here it will easily be spent elsewhere.

Prices here are roughly... (including our dreaded VAT @ 17.5%, which I can claim back - eventually!)

SENNHEISER MKH60 £987
SENNHEISER MKH416 £865
AUDIO TECHNICA AT4071A £699
AUDIO TECHNICA AT4073A £617

Again thanks for help. Anyone tell me why the 4071a might be better than the 4073a?