DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Suggestions on mixers, preamps and all that guff. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/32194-suggestions-mixers-preamps-all-guff.html)

Aaron Koolen September 19th, 2004 09:17 PM

Suggestions on mixers, preamps and all that guff.

I've been reading off and on about different field mixers and mic preamps as I think I'm going to need something soon. I'm just after some opinions from you guys to help solidify any decision I might make. My current criteria and desires are:

- 2 channels at least - 95% of my work is two channels at MOST.

- Must be able to take line and/or mic in. At a pinch I'd go with using a pad to just a mic in device but I'd prefer not to

- I don't think I need to actually "MIX" audio

- Must have headphone monitoring

- Prefer tape return so I can hear what the camera is recording without having to plug my phones into it.

- Phantom - Not needed just yet (Me66) but I envisage needing it.

- Proper metres, not just a clip LED.

At the moment it's looking like the PSC DV Promix is the candidate for several of these reasons. The sound devices 302 is the other possibility but this guy is twice the price and I don't think I need it's sophistication for the work I do.

Any comments or references to other devices would be much appreciated though.

Aaron

Bruce S. Yarock September 20th, 2004 02:30 PM

Aaron,
Yesterday I borrowed a friend's (pro sound man) sound devices mix pre. It has everything you want, and sounds great. The phantom switch, however, is global-either on or off both channels.I ran a wired Sony lav and a G2 into the mix pre, and one out of the mix pre into my beachtek (Gl1).Then I ran another wired lav into the other channel of the beachtek.Worked fine.
I'm planning on buying either the mix pre, or the 302.( The 302 will probably get me higher status in "Gear slutz annon,")
Bruce yarock

Bryan Beasleigh September 20th, 2004 02:58 PM

Bruce, you will be happy with either. (go figure, I am the gear Slutz Anon president) I have both, the Mix Pre has a size advantage, the 302 has better control and metering.

Aaron there is $150 USD difference. I've never touched the PSC but people seem to like the Mix Pre better.

Try RAMPs
or

Try RAP

Aaron Koolen September 20th, 2004 02:58 PM

Hi Bruce, yeah I've seen that mixpre baby also. Does look pretty nice and I was thinking about the situation you described yesterday and if it would work. Obviously it would.

Yeah, I don't think I'm even slutty enough to have a membership form to fill out, let alone a membership, but a 302 would should solve that - aye Bryan!? :)

Aaron

Aaron Koolen September 20th, 2004 03:08 PM

Thanks for that Bryan (You must have been posting as I was cause your reply just appeared before mine)

The Mixpre is around US$700, and the 302 is about $1100. Now, what are your opinions on the best to go for in the long tern? Would you think it's worth biting the bullet and getting the 302 so that you'll "never need another piece of field mixing equipment again", or does the MixPre do most of what you want?

I basically shoot interviews, and short pieces like that. I'll probably to a few short films, but I don't envisage using 5 mics or anything and if so, I'll rent a mixer.

Aaron

Bryan Beasleigh September 20th, 2004 04:02 PM

The mix pre is pretty well bare bones but excellent quality. The 302 has the 3 inputs as well as the ability to link with a mix pre or a 442.
The 302 has 3 inputs, stereo MS ,all functions separated, and most functions can be changed in a software setup. The metering is better.
The mix pre would always be handy

Aaron Koolen September 20th, 2004 04:47 PM

Thanks Bryan. I've just been reading through the 302's manual and that thing is insane! Options out the wazoo.

Think I'll try find one secondhand.

Aaron