Does the Canon GL2 Have 2 Discrete Audio Channels? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 27th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the Canon GL2 Have 2 Discrete Audio Channels?

In my last thread I had asked if the GL2 had 2 audio channels. I don't think my question was clear. So here goes again. What I am wanting to know is does the GL2 have 2 discrete audio channels? so if I am using a shotgun and a wireless they will each have their own channel? I hope this makes since

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Fred Retread

I don't think you understood the reply to your previous post. The answer is yes. The left and right channels are discrete audio channels and can be used to record inputs from two completely independent mono sources instead of left and right stereo tracks.

However, the on board mic cannot be used for one of the sources because plugging anything into the mic jack shuts off the internal mic. Also, using a mic that transfers signals through the GL2's hot shoe turns off both the internal mic and the mic jack.

So if you want to use two separate mics, the cheapest and most direct approach is to get the kind of adaptor Douglas mentioned.

This is all in Douglas's reply, but he has a knack for packing a lot of info into few words.
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #3
Trustee

I use the Beachtek dxa 4p adaptor box with my Canon gl1.That way you can run two separate mic sources- one into each channel. you can combine them in mono or keep them separatein stereo.You can also record from a line source ( live band through a PA, etc.)
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio