Headphone recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 18th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Headphone recommendations?

I'm almost afraid to ask this since I've read the boards enough to know that there is strong feeling against sustained sound mixing using headphones. The facts of my life are that I share my video working area with my family and spend many hours editing with others in our home office also working on other projects. For family peace I must work with headphones.

For my final mix I use my speakers but I need a good pair of headphones for the many hours I spend working up to that point.

Any recommendations?

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been wondering the same thing and from the research I've done am leaning toward Grado SR80s. They seem to have a very loyal following and the reviews all list them as the best for the money. $95 for the 80s. I think $65 for the 60s and $150 for the 125s. Good luck.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_117832_2750crx.aspx#reviews
Deron Bauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #3
Trustee

Sony mdr-7506.
I use them for mixing in my studio and for monitoring my video camera.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Sony MDR-7506 are industry standard for film and video.

The MDR-V6 is the consumer version of it. It's cheaper and its sticker does not say professional on it. You can get these off eBay (there are some online stores there as well as auctions) or look on froogle.com.

You could also look into in-ear headphones, which offer better sound and isolation. They're harder to put on and remove though. Shure and Etymotics make some good ones.

http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everybody. Gotta love this board - three replies in less than 12 hours (overnight no less).

Old October 19th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #6
Trustee

While the 7506 headphones are certainly the industry standard for field work, I wouldn't use them for mixing and editing if I didn't have to. My choice for mixing and editing would be the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs.
http://www.audiotechnica.com/guide/other/headset/ATHM40fs.html
(Don't get the D version of these phones with boosted bass response.)
I routinely see the M version on sale for $70 to $80 which is an incredible bargain in my opinion.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ordered the ATH-M40fs from B&H - $75.00 plus shipping. Now if I can only find a good NTSC tube...

Old October 20th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #8
Trustee

I think you'll be pleased with their clarity, wide response and comfort.
Now that you can hear every detail, you just have to train yourself to recognize what you can safely leave alone in your mix. With any new headphones you need to do some comparison listening to previous projects with the speakers and headphones that you've been using up til now. Get a mental picture of the differences and it will make you more comfortable as you work on new material.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm sure the headphones will be a huge improvement over my present system. Not to mention increasing family harmony. We have all the family computers (including my editing setup) in one room so we can keep an eye on where the kids are spending their time on the net.

They split their time between complaining about listening to whatever I'm editing and being fascinated by it and getting distracted from their homework. My oldest daughter (16) wants me to teach her how to edit so she can do some projects of her own.

I've just started getting serious about the sound part of the editing process. This will allow me to spend more time without unduly distracting the rest of the family.

John Cloy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio