DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless lav pins help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/34162-wireless-lav-pins-help.html)

Pete Cofrancesco October 28th, 2004 08:49 PM

Wireless lav pins help

My dad who hires me occasionally to video education projects finally got the funding ($500-$1,000) to purchase a wireless system for a Sony VX2000.

I was going to recommend the Sennheisier Eng, but since I've seen a lot of mixed reviews and I don't have any experience with wireless to base an opinion on, I left the decision up to the tech guys at b&h. On their advice he got an Audio-Technica system for around $800 which included:
- U100 wireless sys. (receiver & hand held mic transmitter) $480
- XLR adapter (look like a beach tec) $144
- AT899 Lavalier Mic $196

When it came in the mail I was surprised to discovered that there wasn't any body transmitter included in the "system". So I said to my dad just order a body pack transmitter, after he talked to b&h they said that the lav mic i got won't work with the normal body transmitter because the mic uses 3 pins and the standard pack uses 5 pins. So I'm faced with a decision of sending back the mic and getting one to match the body pack or just going with whole different system. I know audio-techica is good name but the whole package with the body transmitter is a little over $1,000. Can any give me advice on how to proceed given my price range?

Ray Saavedra October 29th, 2004 01:50 AM

I have no problem with Senn G2 nor the previous model.

JR

Bryan Beasleigh October 29th, 2004 02:48 AM

I'd be calling B&H and asking to speak to the dept head. Don't get nasty but explain the situation and ask how this whole mess can be rectified to your satisfaction. B&H are a reputable outfit and usually very good at customer service.

Bruce S. Yarock October 29th, 2004 03:26 AM

I bought the Sennheiser G2 with the xtra plug ( for converting a wired mic into wireless) for $600. The system works fine and sounds good. Tell them you need to return the stuff they sold you for the G2.
Bruce yarock

Pete Cofrancesco October 29th, 2004 06:15 AM

Thanks guys I'll recommend he send back the audio-technica in favor of the Senn G2.

One other question:

Do I need to buy a Beachtek adapter I've heard so much about?

Troy Tiscareno October 29th, 2004 08:20 PM

No, you don't HAVE to have a BeachTek to use the system you're buying, as long as you're okay with only using a single mic at a time. The G2 receiver will plug right into the cam's mic input.

The advantage of a BeachTek is that you could use the G2 receiver on one channel, and a second mic (wired, or another wireless system) on the other channel. That's because the BeachTek converts the single, stereo mic input into two separate mic/line inputs.

-Troy

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 29th, 2004 09:15 PM

I'd be calling Kendall at B&H. He'll take great care of you.
Some folks really like the Sennheiser, I'm guessing my experiences have been unusual with it, because I've had two bad ones in two different cities.
I use the U100/899 in our own shoots, love it.

Pete Cofrancesco October 31st, 2004 07:41 AM

Troy: thx for clearing that up about the Beachtek

Douglas: glad to hear you like u100/at899 my dad decided to order the body pack/5 pin mic and try it out before making the decision to return it in favor of the Senn. system.

I'll post a mini review when I get everything up and running. Thx everyone for the advice.