Mic/Cam Incompatability? In-line attenuator/limiter question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 5th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Mic/Cam Incompatability? In-line attenuator/limiter question

Hello All. My friend gave me an Azden SGM-X awhile back for my Pansonic PV-DV851 (a camcorder with no manual audio control).

I have tried to use the mic, but it is ridiculously hot. If there is a quiet computer/air flow in a "silent" room the sound of it will be overpowering, and voices from even a few feet away are picked up as very loud, (nearly clipping).

Is there any kind of in-line attenuator or limiter with 3.5mm mini-jack IO's that I could use, and would a solution like that even work? here are the specs right out of the manuals...

Camera -
Audio Input Level {Line} - 316 mV, 10kohm or more (I think this is referring to the component audio input)
Mic Input - Mic sensitivity -50dB (0dB = 1V/Pa, 1Khz)

Microphone -
Impedance: 1.5k Ohms @ 1KHz
Max. SPL Input Level: 103dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: 65dB
Dynamic Range: 78dB
Battery Type: LR-44 - USE ALKALINE BATTERY
Battery Current: 0.5 mA

I tried to research this first and could only find optical and XLR in-line attenuators/limiters. I'd like to be able to use the mic, but if I had to buy something like a Beachtek, I might as well buy a better mic too, and that is a whole new bag of worms.

Any suggestions or ideas about the subject are welcome, and I thank all of you ahead of time for reading this and (possibly) helping me out.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Fred Retread

One idea, if you're handy, is make your own attentuator with some 1/8" connectors and a few Radio Shack resistors.

http://www.dplay.com/book/pgs2e/pads.pdf
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Old Boot

Just ordered a 10dB 200ohm inline XLR for £26.00 inc taxes . . I had this from Sennhieser and the suppliers of the same. http://www.canford.de/commerce/produ...oductid=20-910

Seems like good value. Tested and components and my time and frustration . . Oh, and I can then add another inline for 20dB . . . simple and quick.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm not really handy enough to build my own attenuator, and I'm looking for something like that XLR in-line attenuator, just with mini plugs. Of course I could get the XLR one and a couple of XLR to mini adapters, but at that cost I might as well look for a used Beachtek style device. Thanks for the advice though guys, anybody else?

Oh! You know those little volume control dials they put in-line with some walkman headphones? Could I find and use something like that with a mic, or would that introduce too much noise to the system? Anybody know of these things being sold as separate in-line accessories?
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #5
Old Boot

Bad Audio will only . .er . . sound quieter. You will have "hot" quiet audio. Having a volume control will only make that which is horrid - quieter.

Grazie
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Fred Retread

I don't think you'll find a solution as cheap and convenient as we hope for, Jesse.

BTW, are you sure there's no mic attenuation option buried in the cam's menus? There is in my GL2.
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Old Boot

Yes, I've used it often on my XM2. If you go with the onboard mic, it's sweet, it works well. Try high register girls gospel choir, in full flow? If I plug on my Senni66 it is still too hot. I've been advised to use this inline attenuator by a Senni Engineer here in the UK - so, Guys that's what I'm gonna do - only for massively big . . er, hotness.

Seeyah!

Grazie
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #8
Major Player

So what's the difference between having an attenuator in between the mic and camera vs. a volume control in between the mic and camera. I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but I really don't get it, so please don't berate me if you answer! I kind of "got" Graham's response, but want to know the why. If the signal from the mic (which is battery powered if that makes a difference), get lowered by a volume knob before it hits the cam, how could it still clip?
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Here's a link to an attenuator cable with 1/8" connectors--

http://www.core-sound.com/attenuator-cables.html
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks a lot Jay. Just what I was looking for (I think). I'm going to try this. They have a 30 day return policy if deosn't work, so that's a good deal!
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #11
Fred Retread

It's not a ridiculous question, and no one berates anyone around here. You're right, your volume control idea would work in an unbalanced line as an attenuator, and when adjusted to equal the dB reduction of any other attenuator it would prevent clipping just as well. As you suspected in your earlier post, it's likely to be noisey because of the slider contact plus the fact that the resistive material used wasn't selected for this application.
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Fred. I was just joking about getting berated =).

So you're saying if the mic is hot, but not automatically clipping, the in-line volume control ($15) would be better to try first before the mini-jack 20dB attenuator ($40), or are you saying that I'd probably need both?
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Well, I got the $10 volume control and put it in-line, between the mic and the cam, and it worked wonderfully, except...even with the voulme knob at it's loudest the audio is about 6dB too quiet. I guess I could just raise it in post...
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #14
Trustee

I have Audio-Technica AT8202 Attenuators. They have a 10, 20, 30 switch AND are phantom voltage compatible. Some attenuators do not work with phantom voltage, so be aware. I think they are around $40 and I got mine from one of our sponsors (B&H).
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #15
Major Player

I appreciate the repsonse, but as earlier posts said, I'm not looking for an XLR solution.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio