B&H shows its class - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #16

Hey Henry,
I'll be by to see you tomorrow! I'm here in NYC for the launch of the new Sony HDV cam.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Here is another kudos to B&H from the other side of the Country (oregon). I have dropped nealy 10k at B&H over the past few months and don't regret a single cent of it.

The only 1 small nit pick complaint I have about B&H is that I wish it was easier for me to organize my humongous wish list on their web site. 8)

Thanx B&H - You guys are Top Shelf!!

Regards

- todd siechen
Old November 24th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #18
Regular Crew

My friend had a not-so-good experience with B&H. Despite specific emailed instructions to the contrary they sold him an out-of-date Amphibico housing for his VX2000. When he complained they said "well it's the same model number". He was kept on the phone (from the UK to the US) and passed around the staff for a couple of hours before he finally got someone who could actually deal with the complaint.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #19

I'd imagine that this board's comments likely would reflect a broader survey of B&H customers. No business can have 100% customer satisfaction, and all companies that use people will make errors from time to time. How they rectify them is a different story.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #20
Regular Crew

It's not that bad. He did get the updated model eventually. But I understand it took some rather strong persuasion.
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #21
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : I'd imagine that this board's comments likely would reflect a broader survey of B&H customers. No business can have 100% customer satisfaction, and all companies that use people will make errors from time to time. How they rectify them is a different story. -->>>

No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily.

A lot of younger kid's I know in my film school went there for the first time this semester, and were amazed by the size and the hustle and bustle going on there. It made them feel good for "being a part of it", like shopping there somehow made them more professional, or like it was some right of passage. Now they have a strong positive asscoiation with the pace after just picking up some tape stock, lens filters, etc...Hence a lot of 100% positives over very little service experience.

Again, not directed to posters here, juts some B&H shoppers I know in general.
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #22
Trustee

Sorry! but my experience is that B&H always strives for satisfaction and i've had several dealings with them.

"No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily."

I do take offense, your inuendo is based on heresay and not direct experience.
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #23

And I'd disagree with Bryan :-) because...

People DO jump on the B&H bandwagon pretty easily, because B&H is a good band and a great wagon to be on. Every business out there has some dissatisfied customers, it's the nature of the beast. You do your best to take care of their needs, and sometimes, it's just not enough no matter what you do. You could offer to walk their dog or babysit, they'd STILL want more. Some people simply live for extracting their pound of flesh in the event of a small or large error, or an imagined slight.

Being in business myself, we bust a$$ to take care of clients and customers. We've got a users group out there who's leader has taken at least 10K in free goods from us and various other manufacturers. But when someone who has given them a ton of free stuff finally says "No" or "why do you need more, we've already donated that to your group," they flip over and now you aren't just a vendor not providing to them, you've become public enemy #1.

There are just people out there who can't be satisfied no matter what you do (or don't do)

I think B&H deals with those kinds of people as far as they can. I've been in an ugly situation with them, back about 5 years ago, and they made it right, and also kindly pointed out to me later that I'd been a jerk. Rereading those old emails, I had been. But they could have just as easily said "Screw off."
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #24
Trustee

I'm still trying to figure out what you disagreed with. It sounds like we're on the same page ;-)

heresay is gossip
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #25
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : "No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily."

I do take offense, your inuendo is based on heresay and not direct experience. -->>>

My "inuendo" was actually based on the direct experiences I have had with my fellow film students. I think I made that extremely clear in my earlier post, Bryan.

What I said doesn't take away from the fact that B&H is a good store (like I also stated), or that people have had great experiences with them. I said that I knew, from personal experience, that some people that have shopped there, once or twice without having needed sales-rep help, will rave about the place to seem like they're in the know.

You actually have no right to take offense to my statement, and I only said that originally so that somebody wouldn't post a pointless reply accusing me of calling out board members. Obviously my deterring disclaimer didn't serve it's purpose.
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #26
Fred Retread

I think I'd like to get one more comment in here before this thread gets closed due to controversy ;>)

I emailed B&H customer service a few weeks ago with a complaint about an insignificant detail that I quickly realized wasn't justifed. I heard back from Henry Posner, who calmly explained the store's point of view, then went on to offer me an exchange anyway just to make me happy. When he didn't hear back from me one way or another, he sent me another message expressing concern that I wasn't satisfied. Of course, I wrote back that I was.

...Then, in a separate situation about a week later I was allowed to return a different item about a week beyond the official return period, just on my hunch that the unit was defective. I UPS'd it last Saturday, and recieved the replacement four business days later, on Thursday. Today, without fanfare or explanation, I received a check from B&H. Only after some thought I realized it was a refund of the sales tax I paid at the store in NYC, since the replacement was by mail order! That's B&H.
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #27
Skyonic New York

<<<-- Originally posted by Jesse Bekas :

No offense to anybody who's said that they're great, but I have a feeling that a lot of people jump on the "B&H Bandwagon" pretty easily.-->>>

jesse you got me, it was one of those nights i was alone in the office eating cold chinese, i just wanted to feel part of a group, i just wanted to belong man...can you understand that...

Home...I have no home. Hunted...despised... living like an animal...the jungle is my home! ..But I will show the world that I can be its master...

dont's cheat that line, don't google...
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #28
Fred Retread

Hey guys and gals,

This is an exceptionally high quality online forum, based upon respect for good information and for each other. Jesse is a colleague who made a stray observation about human nature, not an attack on any member of this forum or its sponsors.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #29

I think we've reached a point that the thread has matured, I also suspect we've hit a point where the difference between reading the written word and reading someone's face when making a statement may be coming into play.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio