DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   B&H shows its class (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/34622-b-h-shows-its-class.html)

David Ennis November 7th, 2004 05:41 PM

B&H shows its class

I drove 140 miles down to Manhattan this morning expressly to see and shop at B&H. It's an amazing operation, truly a world class store. They don't need a plug from me--they were mobbed from the opening bell. But I thought I'd just share my experience.

I expressed disappointment to my salesperson that the AT3031s I wanted weren't in stock after my long drive. He phoned up Marty G. (the pro audio buyer, if I have that right) to see how fast I could get them. Marty asked to speak to me. I was surprised to hear him say, "I was expecting you." I had posted my plans here last night, and he reads this board!

He arranged for a drop shipment from Audio Technica of the two mics as well as an AT8202 attenuator they were low on with 2 day delivery at no charge, just as a courtesy.

THANKS MARTY! And extend my thanks to George too, who spent more than an hour helping me assemble my order.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2004 07:26 PM

Marty Wein is a true class act. Kendall, Ray, George, and the other audio gurus are also class acts. A couple years ago, I needed some help with something, Kendall not only helped me from the store, but he also took time out while on his way home from work to call me on his cell.
Glad your experience was similar to mine.

David Ennis November 7th, 2004 07:40 PM

I don't know where I got the "G" from. Sorry, Marty.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2004 07:43 PM

FWIW, "Wein" is an abbreviation anyway. :-)

Bryan Beasleigh November 7th, 2004 11:42 PM

Marty is also a member of this forum. He is indeed a class act.

Everyone i've dealt with at B&H has been great.

Fred
I just know you're going to enjoy your new toyz.

Robert Mann Z. November 8th, 2004 02:51 AM

like a lot of nyc'ers i buy all my gear from bh, tons, in fact if i didn't i could probably put down nice sized downpayment on lake front property...

the audio and lighting guys at bh are truly pro's pros, they know everything about what they sell, and have helped me out out so many times...even if you have a general question and they are not busy go ask them...to me they are the salt of bnh

the main reasons i go to bnh would be to quench my desire for glass for my slr, buy used rangefinders, and as i stated up top get my audio and lighting in check

the lens guys are funny, it has been hit or miss for me, some seem to talk down to me, some take the less wordy approach and say nothing to me, and some seem like there doing me a favor by helping me..it is somewhat of a put off, but i still buy from bnh because they are an honorable outfit

the video guys are split between consumer and pro, my consumer needs are short, i'm always waiting for the pro guyto help out , he is very busy, i don't know his name but no matter how busy it is he is always courteous and helpful...

i'm actual going to bnh tomorrow to pick up a tripod, the tripod guy in the photo dept gave me a great tip on a monopod, so i'm looking foward to see what he says about my choice of a tripod...

David Lau November 8th, 2004 04:13 AM

Lived in NYC for 3 months for work. B and H is the only place to go, I bought most of my latest kit from there. People there are in such a rush cause they are so busy but at the same time are on the ball to deliever the service. I am a guy that does all my research befroe I buy, so all I need is a quick service cause I am always in a rush. 10 out of 10 for the BH guys.

Henry Posner November 8th, 2004 12:11 PM

Thanks to everyone here for your many kind, words. I think Marty may actually be blushing, just a little. :-)

Emre Safak November 8th, 2004 12:25 PM

Is there an AV Web site that Henry does not monitor?! :)

Jesse Bekas November 9th, 2004 11:07 AM

I live in Jersey and go to B&H any time I'm in the city (about once every two weeks), and I know everybody loves them (for good reason), but are there any other or even smaller shops you guys would would recommend either in/around Manhattan, or in New Jersey? I love B&H, but I really like to shop around as well (even for the sake of just checking places/prices out).

Allen Brodsky November 9th, 2004 04:09 PM

Many wedding videographers in the NJ/NY area buy their cameras from Armatos. They can't compete with B&H on price, but the staff is very knowledgeable and has a strong customer-service ethic. Armato's is in Glendale, NY.

James Emory November 9th, 2004 06:40 PM

I flew on a dedicated one day trip to New York from Atlanta back in 2000 just to see the B&H complex and handle the gear before I bought anything. I wasn't too happy to find that they did not have the NLE that I was interested in on display like I was told that they did. But, after looking around and playing with the endless toys on display, I kind of put that thought on hold. The instore staff was great about answering questions and not leaving you unattended. It was an experience to be remembered. I guess it's almost like another must see place, at least for video folks, when visiting New York.

Reid Bailey November 10th, 2004 02:26 PM

I've only done online orders with them but it's always been a great experience.
Great prices, Great service, Great selection time after time...

George Ellis November 10th, 2004 04:12 PM

Tangent - For we old far... dudes, remember the Sears catalog and looking through it? Well, I got a B&H catalog in the mall today! Oh boy!

Christopher C. Murphy November 10th, 2004 04:47 PM

B&H - great experience for me

B&H has been good to me. There is nothing worse than opening a shipped package and having to get on the horn and compain. B&H always gets it right....such a refreshing company.

B&H also has deals sometimes...like $50 and $100 gift certificates. I bought a Sony wirless set for $500 a piece, and they had $100 certificates for BOTH!

Murph