DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   advice for short film audio setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/34676-advice-short-film-audio-setup.html)

David Lau November 8th, 2004 09:39 PM

advice for short film audio setup

I am new to audio for shooting. Anyway I have a small project on the way. With the information that I have gathered this is what I tend to do. The locations are varied, from indoors and out.

ME66 for recording Dialogue (which I currently own)
pair of ME64 for recording Ambient stero
Using a mixer to mix down to Inputs on an Xl-1.

I have a $2000 buget any advice is much apprecciated.

Thanks in advance

Ps all the shots will be made on anXL-1

David Ennis November 11th, 2004 09:20 AM

David,
Your post has gone without a response because it tells too little about the project or your concerns, then asks a very open ended question. This is a great board with people who like to help, so please try again

David Lau November 11th, 2004 01:40 PM

thanks Fred,

I appreciate your concern :)

This is a great forum and proud to be a memeber of. Like last week, I manage to convert an NTSC FU-1000 B&W finder to work on my PAL XL-1 with help from other forum users. That makes me very confident about peoples ability on this forum.

Anyhow, I am aware that there isnt a formula for recording sound for film cause every situation is different. At the moment as we speak the script is going through changes. I dont exactly know what I am doing just yet. In terms of lighting and camera angles. But Now I am lumbered with the sound as well. This is a whole new area that I have no experience in.

We have made a short already and I am not at all happy with our sound.

Since our shoot dates have moved to later dates, this has giving me more time research and prep for our little feature.

So far all I know is that we will be shooting in mixed enviroments. Indoors and out. From Open fields to tight interiors. What I want to know regarding the sound recording is location technique.

1. recording ambient sound using a pair ME64s "XY" then together using a ME66 to boom the telents. Record externally on a Marantz solid state recorder via a 4 chanel mixer and mix down the channels to 2.

2. record ambient direct to 2 channels on the XL-1using a Sennheiser MKH418S (on camera a good idea?). Then booming talents on a ME66 to record on solid state recorder via mixer.

Hope this all makes sense. Basically I would like some sort of input its an area that I have grown fond of and wouldnt mind investing money in. Since our short films shoot dates have been delayed I have more budget to play with. I am now looking around to spent $3000. It seems good advice on sound is really hard to come by. Dont know is it to do with the lack of users or experience users.

David Ennis November 11th, 2004 04:03 PM

Okay, it's clear now that what you need is not an answer to a question or two. What you need (and you will love it) is Jay Rose's book on audio for video filmmakers:

http://www.dplay.com/book/pgs2e/index.html

There is a hot link from that site to Amazon.com to place your order. If you do it that way rather than going straight to Amazon.com, Jay gets a bigger royalty. And hey, he's a colleague!

David Lau November 11th, 2004 06:03 PM

Hey Fred,

Thaks for the advice, Just went to amazon and spent $120 on some books that I was looking for. I am from the Uk, so some of these books are hard to come by unless you are in London.

Thanks a bunch. I think now that my questions will be answered.

David Ennis November 11th, 2004 09:44 PM

I'm curious--what were some of the titles you ordered?

David Lau November 12th, 2004 04:39 AM

Hi these are the titles,

Producing Great Sound for Digital Video

Audio Postproduction for Digital Video

The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Technique

Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know

Film Directing Shot by Shot : Visualizing from Concept to Screen

303 Digital Filmmaking Solutions

I come from a photography background. Lighting isnt new, but the whole language is a lttle different and the naming of shots are "different". I am a freelance assistant for photographers and directors, but I mainly work in photography.

Now I want to spend more time on the film side so want to learn more about film as possible. My University thesis was about a particular film.

Jose di Cani November 12th, 2004 07:50 PM

I borrowed ' The Five C's of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Technique' from the library today

It has too much black and white pictures in it. I miss the coloured ones. The lay-out of the book is weird and it lacks structure. It describes pretty everything in general lines. BUt the practise is what you need to get a good pic. ANd watch tons of movies and series on tv. YOu will learn about those as well. Write down how they filmed scenes and stuff.

If you want to learn how to record audio, try to learn how to use sequencers and vst/direct-x plug-ins. YOu will be amazed what you can do with audio/midi editors.

David Lau November 12th, 2004 08:10 PM

a friend of mine recommended five "C's of cinematography". he said its something that I like.

On a stills ad job next week. Been spending today at AFM, lighting rental company. looking at the lighting gear. been playing aorund with HMI and space lights. its pretty cool. On the sound side of stuff my friend uses protools and he swear by it.