DAT Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 9th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Tourist

DAT Recorder

Hi everyone, i´m a newbbie in Dv, so i´m sorry if my question is totally stupid, in my defense: I look around the forum and didnt find anything about.

I´m producing a Doc in Dv and in this particular case the sound is very importanting, because, the Doc is about the Marrons in Brazil, so I need record a lot of music.

I'm thinking in turn off the audio of the Camcorder and use a DAT Recorder with a boom and a Mic.

Is that a good idea? Someone already did this? Please indicates some DAT recordes (portables).

Thanks All, and sorry for my really rusty english, i will pratice more, ; - )
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I have always liked recording to a seperate source, as the audio tends to be much cleaner than the camera's audio. Using a DAT would be sweet, as that is well used by the Industry.

However, I would suggest letting the camera record audio too, if nothing else, just so you can sync up the audio easier. You can always discard that audio later.
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Major Player

That's what I do. I feed the mics to a mixer and from there to my recorder (a solid state recorder) which records the sound better than the camera and you don't have to worry about tape hiss or camera noise or any of those other problems (which still crop up, even with seperate mics).

But I also run a feed from the recorder to the camera (when possible) so that it is recording the sound as well, generally as a back up.

So far, though, I've never failed to use the sound from the seperate recorder, it is much cleaner.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio