Newbie here, sorry- very basic question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 14th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie here, sorry- very basic question

hi i was recording my voice and guitar with my xl1s and i pumped it into the computer and wiped the video and converted it to mp3 (xl1s stock mic).

and goodness me... i compared it to a professional mp3 (yellowcard), and its so crisp .... yet so ...... BASS. (i know, its mastereD)

but when i go back to mine and i pump up bass.......
1) its very blurry
2) its annoying and not clear
3) my 5.1 bass subwoofer still does not sound out

so i thot, it must be becasue its not 5.1, but then again none of my mp3s are. they're all "Stereo"

i tried tons of stuff, and some made it better, usually turned otu worse, but never gave me crsip bass.

ok so i know im going to get some "you have to professionally master it" so i will reply to that. can i master it with adobe audition? premiere? anything besides getting out of my room ?

haha thx

-arthur
Arthur To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Fred Retread

Arthur, I believe that you are up against the limited bass response of the on-board mic in your camera. In the "chain" of sound reproduction the most important device is the microphone. Post production processing can enhance a signal in a lot of ways, but it can't inject realistic detail that the microphone failed to capture. To get what you're after will require some investment. If you want to pursue it, this is the best place to get good advice on what you'll need.
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #3

In addition to the microphone not having the response, or more accurately probably wasn't placed to capture the sound properly, you'll need careful eq, careful compression, and maybe even bass enhancers like those made by WAVES. Within a certain reason, most decent mics will pick up a reasonable amount of bottom end. But keep in mind that if you're comparing it to a mixed, mastered file that started out with multiple tracks, AND likely has separate EQ and compression on the bass/bottom end, AND probably has a bus with a separate EQ on the bottom end.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #4
Major Player

Try to fix your sound with the use of multiband compression and a touch of EQ. I knwo lots of guitar people use ' T-racks' as their al-in-one suite. I used and I love it.

Another new and profesional plugin for GUITARS is called ' Guitar Rig;. It has everything you need, from EQ's to warm analog tube emulators and it is like a dream come true. With guitar is prefer using guitar rig than any other.

Another favour of mine are the PSP plug-ins (PSP vintage warmer, PSP saturator) which are in my view slightly warmer than the Waves plug-ins. The PSP plugins let you control its knobs with your external midi keyboard/surface. PSP also has the best ECHO plugin in the world in this moment, leaving behind older plugins such as those of Waves, TC and Antares.

The best reverb plug is that of TC, which is amazing.

For EQ you can use some very profesional Free plug-ins (fully automatable in your sequencer). I also like the Waves REQ EQ plugins a lot, but I prefered they were fully controlable with my external keyboard.

If you want to
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio