DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need a external mic as good as GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/35170-need-external-mic-good-gl2.html)

Todd Kivimaki November 19th, 2004 12:18 AM

Need a external mic as good as GL2

Alright I've come to realize from my past post, that I need to get a cheap omnidirectional XLR mic as good as the GL2's. I just need to pick up the organ, and the church's sound system, at a Wedding. I will have wireless on the groom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ivan Bernstein November 19th, 2004 07:31 PM

Re: Need a external mic as good as GL2

<<<-- Originally posted by Todd Kivimaki : Alright I've come to realize from my past post, that I need to get a cheap omnidirectional XLR mic as good as the GL2's. I just need to pick up the organ, and the church's sound system, at a Wedding. I will have wireless on the groom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks -->>>
Just pick up a $45 - $60 condenser, it should be fine. Make sure you read up on mic placement. Better yet, if the church has a sound system, see if their engineer will give you a line-out.

Todd Kivimaki November 20th, 2004 12:24 AM

I'd like to stick with an on cam mic, that way it's easiest for me to move about during the ceremony. Or is that waht you were talking about? Any specific models?
Thanks!

David Ennis November 21st, 2004 10:12 AM

Having discussed this with Todd in another thread, let me clarify:

He's satisfied with the performance of the GL2's on board mic, it's just that he can't use it simultaneously with his wireless.

He doesn't have much to spend so he's looking for an inexpensive mic with roughly equivalent performace to the on board mic that he can mount on the camera and connect through his XLR adaptor. It should be an omni so he can move around with his camera and still get consistent sounding coverage of the music that fills the room.

Any recommendations for him?

Jay Massengill November 21st, 2004 10:26 AM

If I remember, he doesn't have phantom power, so I'd recommend the ATM-10a (also listed as the ATM10a if you're searching).
It's an omni that can run on battery or phantom. It has a slim body and is fairly lightweight. Sensitivity is only moderate, but the lowest cost I've seen is $100. Many places have it for $110.
Its sensitivity is much higher than a dynamic mic, and its quality is better than really cheap condensers, but camera mics are often hypersensitive to make sure they capture everything.
A much higher sensitivity battery-powered omni would be the K6/ME62, but it would be at least $350 total.

Todd Kivimaki November 23rd, 2004 10:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'm doing some searching on the ATM10a, and by looking at the pictures it looks as if it only fits on a mic stand, and not on the gl2 shoe. Does it come with an adapter so it will fit on my camera?
Thanks!

Jay Massengill November 24th, 2004 09:17 AM

B&H sells an inexpensive shoe-to-5/8"-mic-thread adapter. This would be the minimum you'd need.
To better isolate the mic from the noise and handling of the camera, B&H also sells camera shoe shockmounts that start at $30 and go up from there.