A couple of questions about sound recording a conversation in tv-film or serial?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 20th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A couple of questions about sound recording a conversation in tv-film or serial??

If I want to record a conversation between 3-4 characters standing close together in a scene...

First question, if I am using more than one mic what is the best sound mixer out there I should aquire in order to input all the mics in and then export them to the camera??

Second question, what are the best boom-mics out there with a good price on them that you recommed purchasing??

Cheers...
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Shoulder to shoulder close?
Inside, outside, on a set, in a regular room?
How tight is the shot?
Can I get a boom within 6 inches of their heads without it dropping into frame?
Do the talent all have similarly loud (or soft) voices?

Inquiring minds want to know.

3-4 people close together on 3-4 lavs usually results in a phase mush. You could try split tracking 1+3 and 2+4 to reduce mushing.

If you had an external 4-track recorder, you could take each person's mic to a separate track and deal with it in post.

Or...my favorite approach.

If I could get close enough (6 inches) I'd probably go with one boom and a Schopes cmc641. If the dialog is very frantic (Different people talking quickly) getting good boom position is a challenge. Then I'd think about two booms and split tracking.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers mate for the info :-)
Hamad Abdulla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio