DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   $1000 For Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/35280-1000-audio.html)

Bryan Esposito November 21st, 2004 03:20 PM

$1000 For Audio

I have a budget of about $1000(+/-) to use on audio equipment. I'd be shooting mostly short films and some documentaries here and there on a DVX. I would need something primarily for dialogue.

I was wondering if I could have some suggestions on what I should get for my budget. I've been contemplating between the at-4073a or CK-93 or CS-1 for the mic. Also, is it recommended that I get a field mixer? Thanks to anyone who helps.

P.S. I would also have to include the boompole and shockmount into the budget. I was thinking Gitzo Carbon Fiber and Lightwave mini-mount.

Jay Massengill November 21st, 2004 05:31 PM

I certainly think you're on the right track with what you've listed.
It is good to have a field mixer, but not a necessity with the DVX100. With these mic choices, carbon fiber boom, a higher end shockmount and don't forget good wind protection, you'll easily be pushing $1000 even with the mid-priced 4073a. If you plan to work primarily outside, that's what I'd recommend. If you plan to work primarily indoors but with some outside work at close range, I'd go with the CS-1. Once again, don't forget good wind protection, not having that can defeat everything else good you've purchased.

Bryan Esposito November 21st, 2004 06:15 PM

I plan to work primarily inside, with a little work outside. So I guess I will go with the CS-1. Would you go with Lightwave's equipment (such as their zeppelin and windjammers), or Rycote? Also, is the Lightwave Mini-Mount an adequate shockmount?

Jay Massengill November 22nd, 2004 09:23 AM

I'd probably go with the K-Tek mount that's specifically made for putting the CS-1 on a boompole. It's $45 less than the Lightwave mount. The CS-1 has a very short body section for mounting and many mounts span too much distance.
Since you will primarily be inside, I think you could get away with buying a furry cover only, instead of a full zeppelin. If you do go with a full zepp that will of course determine what shockmount to get because they are a matched set. A full zepp with either a velour cover or a furry cover does give better wind protection than a slip-on furry for the mic, but you'll have to determine if this is a necessity. It's really a toss up as far as Rycote or Lightwave. According to what I've heard, Rycote bought Lightwave and is (has) moving their manufacturing to England. But they will still maintain their different products and styles for some period of time.

Ty Ford November 23rd, 2004 07:38 AM

Re: $1000 For Audio

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Esposito : I have a budget of about $1000(+/-) to use on audio equipment. I'd be shooting mostly short films and some documentaries here and there on a DVX. I would need something primarily for dialogue.

I was wondering if I could have some suggestions on what I should get for my budget. I've been contemplating between the at-4073a or CK-93 or CS-1 for the mic. Also, is it recommended that I get a field mixer? Thanks to anyone who helps.

P.S. I would also have to include the boompole and shockmount into the budget. I was thinking Gitzo Carbon Fiber and Lightwave mini-mount. -->>>

All that for a grand and sounding good is a pretty tall order.

I like the CS-1. It doesn't have the low end response of a 416 and, in general, sounds more natural. I have a review in the Review Archives on my site.

I own a K-tek, 16-foot and like it. I got the 16 over the 12 because I KNEW if I got the 12, I'd need the 16 the next day. I've only needed the full 16 three times, but it has been worth it.

The mixer is the big issue. If you get a mixPre from Sound Devices, you have a great two-channel mixer. That's fine until you want a channel for boom and stereo ambience, or you need three mics. Then you need a Sound Devices 302.

Make your best guess as to when you will need three channels. You can always gang the MixPre to the 302 for a total of five channels later.

And for outside work, you'll at least need a softie.

Regards,

Ty Ford