Advice Please RE: Wireless Microphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice Please RE: Wireless Microphones

I am a relatively new to the DV game and am very grateful to all
you people in helping me understand various topics I have
previously posted.
I am thinking about investing in a wireless microphone system,
but need to know how a wireless would hook up to audio on My
XL1S, One I have seen is a twin microphone with table top
receiver ( plug in ) Can any of you kind people advise Me in fact,
I need all the advice I can get!!

Many thanks in advance
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:07 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I think most wireless systems might be XLR (not sure, I don't
have any wireless setup), if so you will need an XLR adapter
on your XL1S. For some information see this article:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article16.php

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Trustee

The outputs of wireless receivers vary. Some are balanced, some are unbalanced, and they use a variety of connectors or adapter cables.
There's always a way to make the connection, it just depends on the specific wireless models in order to determine the cleanest way to do it with your particular camera.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the same question as the person who started the thread. I am interested in a Wireless microphone system for my XL-1. I saw several setups on B&H today, but am not sure which one I should go with. One in particular had BNC output. I am on a budget, ie I do not have $1000 to spend more like $300-$400. I do have a Beachtek XLR adapter already for my camera. Here are my questions:

1. What would be a good Wireless Mic System that is affordable for my budget and adapts well with an XL-1 with XLR adapter?

2. What connections or adaptations will I have to make in order to connect the Wireless audio system to the XLR adapter for the system to work, and how can I minimize the loss between connections?

3. Referring to the BNC connection I described in the first part of my post, how would the connection from BNC to XLR be made? I am sure it can be done, but can it be done without alot of loss in the quality of audio?

Thank you for the help in advance and I look forward to your suggestions.

Paul Fletcher
Paul Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Paul
From the originater of the thread, I wish there wasn't so many
abbreviations!!! Whats XLR and whats BNC if you don't mind
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #6
Trustee

BNC connectors on wireless receivers are almost always used as the antenna input, not the audio output. I don't think I've ever seen one that used BNC for audio out.
Argument still exists about the origin of "BNC", but one often quoted is Bayonet Naval Connector. It's typically used for video connections on pro equipment. It locks into position with a twisting collar.
I think the XLR connector was pioneered by Canon, and was often originally called a "Canon" connector.
The XLR is generally used for balanced audio connections such as mics, mixers, recorders. It's fairly large, has either 3 protected pins (male) or three sockets (female) and also locks but with a spring-loaded tab.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So, Jay, what do you recommend?

Also, Burlington... NC, VT, none of the above?
Paul Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #8
Major Player

I recently got a Senn ew100, used wireless kit on ebay. I didn't really think I could afford a good UHF system, but kept my eye out, I got a great deal the entire kit only cost me $159.00, and these kits usually go for about $100 more. As for the kit itself, it works great, used it on a couple of weddings so far, and have had no problems, audio is awesome, almost too good. It may not look brand new, but it works great and it was cheap. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Todd Kivimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:47 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm looking for a mid-range, yet effective wireless clip on mic that sounds good but is not insane expensive. Anyone have about 4-5 models from different companies that you could list on here?

Nady
Senn
Azden and whatever else.

Plus....I'm curious to how these mics mount to the camera.....Where does that big reciever thing go?

Also.....are they good to use for movies? It seems like the sound would be pretty clear if they had a mic near them somewhere, especially if it was noisy in a certain scene.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM   #10
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Benkosky : I'm looking for a mid-range, yet effective wireless clip on mic that sounds good but is not insane expensive. Anyone have about 4-5 models from different companies that you could list on here?

Nady
Senn
Azden and whatever else.

Plus....I'm curious to how these mics mount to the camera.....Where does that big reciever thing go?

Also.....are they good to use for movies? It seems like the sound would be pretty clear if they had a mic near them somewhere, especially if it was noisy in a certain scene. -->>>

Add Audio Technica to your list of wireless. I use the U100. The best you can buy, but probably not afford, are Zaxcom digital and Lectrosonic, top end Sennheiser and Audio Ltd., BTW.

The receiver velcros to your camera. Some cameras have a receiver caddy large enough to stick a receiver in.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio