MIC for multi-environment? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MIC for multi-environment?

Could someone please tell me what type of microphone would be idea for my shooting situation?

I will be using it to shoot local track events at Mosport and local car enthusist cruises; occasionally I will be shooting a few mountain bike videos, social, and sporting events; these are listed in order of importance.

I'm on a tight budget as well, $300 USD maximum.

Currently I have the Sony ECM908C Stereo electret condensor mic. I think it's fine for the ambient environment, but I was wondering if getting an XLR setup & using a directional MIC would be better for my situation.

These include the:
1. Azden SGM-1X
2. Azden SGM-2x
3. AT897

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #2
Trustee

What camera are you currently using?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : What camera are you currently using? -->>>

I will be purchasing the Panasonic DVC30 very soon, but I may consider the GL2 (though it's a bit out of my price range).
Mike Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #4
Trustee

I think the DVC30, especially with its better optional XLR adapter, would be a good choice. The XLR adapter with independent phantom power and line-level settings would really add a lot of capability for audio on this camera.
There is no ideal single mic for such a broad range of activities, but among lower cost shotgun mics, the AT897 is a good choice. It's the best shotgun under $300 that can run on either battery or phantom power. So if you can't get the XLR adapter yet, you could still use this mic with an adapter cable.
Do you think you'll be getting the camera with the XLR adapter? If so, that opens up a broad range of other mics in various patterns that can be used.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio