DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Decoding dts audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/356133-decoding-dts-audio.html)

Ervin Farkas September 3rd, 2009 11:34 AM

Decoding dts audio

I have a 5.1 digital audio file that I need to work on.

What software can demultiplex it to something editable?

Thanks,

Allan Black September 3rd, 2009 05:57 PM

Ervin, you can't access the original programs or the files? Google 'demuxing dts audio' and maybe check out the features on the new Sound Forge Pro 10.

Sound Forge Pro 10 Overview

Cheers.

Ervin Farkas September 4th, 2009 07:31 AM

Thanks Allan; all I get on Google is video amateurs chatting about torrent downloads... no useful info there.

Soundforge DOES NOT OPEN .dts files.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve House September 4th, 2009 08:37 AM

What file format is your source in? Is it a .dts file, .ac3, or an encoded .wav file?

Ervin Farkas September 4th, 2009 09:48 AM

It's a .dts file.

Steve House September 4th, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1311299)
It's a .dts file.

I believe Canpus (GrassValley) Procoder 3 can split it. How big is the file?

Ervin Farkas September 4th, 2009 11:08 AM

Canopus Procoder 3 reports: The file format is not supported.

MPlayer Classic plays the file, so the codec is present on the PC, unless it's self-contained in MPlayer...

Seth Bloombaum September 4th, 2009 01:55 PM

I was running into the same problem, wanting to decode some dolby-b a few years ago. No software support, no specs - I knew it was a matter of expansion and eq...

I think the problem for the soundie dealing with these consumer distribution formats is that the encode side is taking place in a facility licensed by dolby, and the decode is typically taking place via licensed hardware. Doesn't leave much room to squeeze in and do a software decode, because if the SW doesn't come from dolby it violates their licensing scheme.

Speculating here, I'd guess that you'd have to either get your files processed by one of the hollywood post houses that have a full encoder license, or, play the distributable media through a receiver that supports dts and do a multichannel record in real-time.

Steve House September 4th, 2009 03:05 PM

I know ProCoder will split an AC3 format file into 6 mono tracks. If you could find a DTS-to-AC3 converter ... There are several shareware solutions out there but looking over the various sources online this afternoon it's not a trivial task.

Mike Demmers September 4th, 2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1310861)
Any other ideas?

Send this digitally to a receiver that decodes this proprietary format and re-encode the resulting analog signals back to six digital tracks.

Going analog briefly is not a crime...

-Mike

Steve House September 5th, 2009 04:09 AM

Found the solution ... VideoLan (VLC Player) incorporates a DTS decoder and is able to convert a .dts file directly to a multichannel .wav file which you can then load into SoundForge or Audition for editing or you can use any of a number of programs to split the 6-channel wav into individual tracks.

Seth Bloombaum September 5th, 2009 10:32 AM

Well done Steve.

Ervin Farkas September 8th, 2009 08:52 AM

Problem solved - Audition can do it... almost...

Well, turns out... Audition should be able to do it. I was browsing the Cineform forum (which I have no interest in, I don't need it, don't use it, I don't even know why I was looking at it), and Mr. Newman pointed out that while CF can't handle AC3 audio, there is a free AC3 codec to solve the issue. So I went over to AC3Filter and voila, they also have a filter for Adobe Audition that handles not only ac3 but dts also.

I installed the filter, and Audition starts working on the .dts file, it demultiplexes the 5.1 file into six individual .dts files, but it stops on the way, reporting "end of file found too early, data will be truncated". What's done is done properly, but all I got is an hour and two minutes out of the file that's two and a half hours long. I tried this on two different computers with identical results, and a Google search brings up similar issues experienced by others.

Over the last decade or so I gave VLC several chances to prove itself and always found it overbloated and useless for my needs. But this time I might actually find a use for it - I downloaded and installed it, and created a stereo ac3 file without any bugs, which is all I need for this project.

Will test a dts to wav transcode later and report back.

Thanks, Steve!

Steve Kalle September 8th, 2009 11:09 PM

There are several programs(free) available but you need to know where to look. I spent hours upon hours looking to convert dts to ac3(DD) and trying to separate dts/ac3 to wav. Google "slysoft BD Clown". Its a program made up of several keys parts(ac3filter, foodts, foobar2000 special, aften...). I have used this program to easily convert dts to ac3 and then separate it into wav. Foobar2000 and several other free programs also are designed to separate dts/ac3 into wav.

Google "dts to wav" and look in doom9.org results and videohelp.com. Both sites have instructions and downloads for the programs.

BTW, I tried Audition and it can't do it properly. I remember using another program that stopped along the way like Audition. Reducing the bit depth and sample rate allowed longer demuxing but nothing ever over 80 or so minutes.

I have a feeling your experience with VLC will not be good. I always had problems playing video with dts in VLC. FYI, the K-Lite Codec Mega pack w/HC MP works magic for all video/audio playback.

Steve House September 9th, 2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1330126)
I have a feeling your experience with VLC will not be good. I always had problems playing video with dts in VLC. FYI, the K-Lite Codec Mega pack w/HC MP works magic for all video/audio playback.

Worked for me without a hitch