Headset vs. free standing mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Trustee

Headset vs. free standing mic

I am narrating an educational video. Is there a big difference in sound quaility between free standing mics and mics that are built into headsets? I kind of like the idea of being ably to turn my head as I am speaking. Any suggestions? I want to keep this under $200.00 if possible. Thanks. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For any serious voice over I'd recommen a good large diaphramed microphone - which need 48v phantom power. I use a Rode NT1 for voice overs.

And no you can't move you head much if you use this method. I know not of any headset microphone that can compete for quality of one of these other microphones.

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bob

I have a Beyerdynamic headphone and mic-combo which is very good and set me back 200 dollars (euros), but the sound is nothing like as good as a decent mic.

Others may disagree but now I would get some good headphones certainly as this will give you a better idea of sound quality, and a good microphone system.

I've been doing voice overs using an Audio Technica 897 plugged into my PC and the sound is very good. For me it is q good choice as it works well with my camera too. Other good handheld dynamic mics are the Sennheiser - e 835s which will give good sound.

regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Re: Headset vs. free standing mic

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Safay : I am narrating an educational video. Is there a big difference in sound quaility between free standing mics and mics that are built into headsets? I kind of like the idea of being ably to turn my head as I am speaking. Any suggestions? I want to keep this under $200.00 if possible. Thanks. Bob -->>>

Bob,

Are you doing on-camera narration? If so, I suggest the Countryman E6. It has the same element as the Countryman B6 which is an accepted professional lav mic.

Another poster mentioned that good studio mics always sound better than headworn. When used properly, he's right. But if you're doing on camera work, you can't have a mic sticking in your face. And as you mention, moving your head will be an issue.

Countryman E6. Oh, sorry, it's more than $200 USD, but worth saving for. Consider it sticker shock and...well...get over it. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey guys, thanks for the replys. The mic will be used for narration in post to Vegas 5 via my computer. So the mic will go into the computer. It looks like you all recommend the hand held. I will look for these this week. Thanks for your help. Bob
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

"Consider it sticker shock and...well...get over it. "

That's my new motto for all DV-related purchases.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #7
Trustee

I was talking to the man at the local audio shop and he suggested the Audio-Technica MB4K. Does anyone know much about this one?
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #8
Trustee

I have no experience with any of the Midnight Blues line from Audio-Technica. The specs look ok, with the exception that this mic rolls off the lows pretty substantially at 12 inches or greater distance. Normally for the situations this mic is used for that's a good thing. And if your recording space has poor acoustics and is bass heavy it can still be a good thing. Generally though when recording VO you want a consistent beefy sound, without getting too muddy. With this mic you'll need to stay fairly close to get this proximity effect. The closer you are to the mic, then the greater the influence your small movements will have over the character of the sound. When recording long-form VO, these changes in the character of the sound make it more difficult to cut together a program consistently. That's why mics with a very flat response and a very controlled proximity effect are used for professional VO. They sound very consistent throughout the performance.
With all that said, you may be perfectly satisfied, since you're seeking out mics at this price point. All you can really do is try it out yourself in your own space. Experiment and determine what sounds best to you.
Since this mic has a greater sensitivity and a higher frequency response than many dynamic mics, you'll also need to keep your computer's noise and any other fans to a minimum.
It's important to have good "pop" protection too. This mic doesn't come with a foam windscreen. You'll need that as a minimum ($1 to $5). A good pop screen that can be placed between you and the mic is even better. They are about $30 with a clamp and gooseneck.
How much are they selling this mic for?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #9
Trustee

Jay, thanks for the reply. I can get the AT MB4K for around $110.00 in Atlanta. Also, I will get the pop screen (not included). Right now I am using a $17.00 headset from Office Depot so anything should be an improvement.
Old December 7th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Bob,

How do you suppose you'll record your voice without hearing the computer?

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #11
Trustee

Good question, I never had that problem, but then I never had a good mic. I will probably use a long cord or cover the computer. Any suggestions?
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Major Player

xlr cable is long and cheap

Move to another room where you will have just the right amount of reverb decay. 100 feet of XLR cable will be fine. Unplug everything. If you can still hear your computer's cooling fans spinning away, unplug those too. There are controls you can buy to temporarily slow the fan(s) to 0.
The less NR you have to do in post, the better.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Trustee

I will try all these. I am seriously thinking of the ATMB4K for the narration, however I am still looking at some other mic's.
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I mounted one CPU in a closet (cables under the door) and the other one in another room (drill holes in wall). I needed a few extension cords for monitors andd keyboard/mouse, but I can sit right at the computer and do V/O.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio