DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Can you tell me if this GL2 sound setup makes sense, please? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/35716-can-you-tell-me-if-gl2-sound-setup-makes-sense-please.html)

Garek Bottesch November 30th, 2004 04:45 PM

Can you tell me if this GL2 sound setup makes sense, please?

Okay, I've picked up a lot on this forum since I started coming here, so I first want to thank you guys for that. Now, I think I have a sound setup pretty much figured out, but I wanted to run it by someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Here goes:

microphone (probably at AT835b) --> mixer (probably a Samson Mixpad 4) --> Sign Video XLR-Pro adapter --> GL2

Is that right? And, as I probably will be splitting the mono mic signal to stereo, the splitter goes between the microphone cable and the mixer, right?

Oh, and while I'm here, what I am still a little vague on the power issues--am I missing something related to that with this setup?

Thanks for all the help.

David Ennis November 30th, 2004 06:03 PM

The XLR-Pro does not provide phantom power--keep that in mind if you want future flexibility in choosing mics. Most good mics require phantom power. The BeachTek DXA-6 provides phantom power.

However, the AT835b is a mic that will also run on an alkaline battery so you could use that with the XLR-Pro.

You don't need to add any kind of splitter to apply the mic's mono signal to both stereo channels. The XLR-Pro takes care of that with a stereo/mono switch.

It is not clear why you want a mixer at this stage of the game. You can accept a mic and an additional input (e.g., another mic or a line from a sound board) without one. Unless you're sure you want to play with EQ, I'd leave out the mixer.

Jonathan Nicholas December 1st, 2004 03:02 AM

The one thing I would say is get an AT897 instead of the 835b.

This is basically a shorter version and works with the short rycote softy should you want to use it out doors for interviews at a later date.

Jon

Jay Massengill December 1st, 2004 08:38 AM

I also agree about the 897 over the 835b. The 897 is a newer, better design that is shorter with less self noise. It can also run on either battery or phantom like the older 835b.
As Fred detailed, the XLR adapter has the capability to send a single input to both channels of the camera.
The mixer does give the additional capabilities of phantom power (but I don't remember if it's full 48-volt power, some mics require full 48v, some don't), multiple inputs, EQ, boosting gain, better controls and a better headphone amp (although you should still monitor from the camera too).
It all depends on what you're needing to do whether the mixer is a necessity.

Garek Bottesch December 1st, 2004 02:06 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I was just looking at mixer so I had the extra flexibility--I'm not certain I need one, and it will be closer to the end of the list to see if I can afford it right off. As for the 897, does it work well indoors, too (i.e., without a lot of echo, etc.)? I'm going to do be doing both indoors and outdoors, and the 835b just seemed to be the best all-around mic (I'm recording dialogue for student film).

And thanks for the notes on the power--I was looking at the DXA-8, but I think it's too far out of my price range, unfortunately. Am I going to have any noticeable downsides running off battery power on the 897?

[EDIT]

Oh, and the mic is going to be on a boom pole.

Jonathan Nicholas December 1st, 2004 03:01 PM

The 897 is an awesome microphone. Although I've used the 835 I've not done any direct comparisons but I feel the 897 is better for video use. Certainly no problems running it off the battery.

Like I said if you want at some point to use it out doors and you need a wind protection, you can use the rycote softie that's designed for the Sennheiser ME66

Jon

Garek Bottesch December 5th, 2004 02:19 PM

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Thanks for all the info, guys. You rock. I think I'm going to go for the 897 after all.

:)