what mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 1st, 2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Tourist

what mic?

i am very new to this i have a canon xl1 when i do interviews with people is there any kind of mic that can be hooked up to the canon instead of the omni directional that comes with the camera. is there a mic that has the connection like the mic that comes with the xl1? or what other advice what should i buy to interview others thanks
Patrick Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Trustee

Are these sit-down interviews, or person-on-the-street interviews?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 01:06 PM   #3
Tourist

thanks for your help what is your suggrstion for both
Patrick Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Trustee

For sit-down interviews, a wired lavalier mic that can run on battery power (such as the AT899) is a good start. If the interviewer's questions are shot on-camera, then you'd need a lav for both people.
If on the other hand the interviewer is off-camera and their questions will be inherently included in the responses, then a single lav on the interviewee and either a shotgun (like the AT897) or a hypercardioid (like the Rode NT3) on a boom over the interviewee is a good choice.
For street interviews, there is a wide range of omni or cardioid hand-held dynamic interview mics available that range from $85 (AT804) up to several hundred dollars.
It's good to back this up with a battery-powered shotgun like the AT897 or the Sennheiser K6/ME66, mounted on the camera or used with a boom pole if you have someone to hold it.
All of these mics mentioned can be attached to your camera's rear RCA audio connectors, set either to Mic or Mic ATT depending on the circumstances, using an appropriate adapter cable.
Even better, is to use a 2-channel XLR adapter box or a small field mixer. If this device also provides phantom power, then you have a much wider range of mics to pick from.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio