DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Problem with new microphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/35846-problem-new-microphone.html)

Bryan Harley December 3rd, 2004 05:29 AM

Problem with new microphone

At the recommendation of people on this forum and others, I recently decided to purchase the Audio Technica AT897 shotgun mic and a hosa mini-plug to XLR cable for my Sony DCR-TRV11.

But now I'm having a problem. The mic got here today and I decided to do some tests. At first I thought the mic just wasn't working, because I couldn't hear anything when I played back the tape. But then I listened closely and the audio was just very very faint.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Jonathan Nicholas December 3rd, 2004 07:28 AM

Just to ask the obvious, have you put a battery in it?

Jon

Jay Massengill December 3rd, 2004 08:35 AM

And is this a cable specifically made to input from a balanced XLR mono into a mini stereo unbalanced jack without causing phase cancellation? If it's not the right cable, you can have a complete cancellation of the signal, or it will only show up on one camera channel. You can also have noise problems from Sony mic jacks with "plug-in power". You should get a cable with a blocking capacitor to prevent this.

Ty Ford December 3rd, 2004 09:57 AM

Hmm,

could be a couple of things. Battery? There are many HOSA cables. Some even look like they are the same, but they are not wired the same. I think the one you want is XVM-100.

Perhaps you got one wired "conventionally" for mono. That won't work if your camera input is stereo. You need the version of the cable that feeds pin 2 of the mic to both the tip and ring of the mini TRS.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bryan Harley December 3rd, 2004 06:11 PM

Yes I checked the battery, that's not it.

I got the Hosa cable that was recommended in another thread (for the TRV950 I think) by Bryan Beasleigh. Checking the box, it says the model number is XVM-249.

So I guess I got the wrong cable, essentially? I searched on B&H Photo's site for a XVM-100, but they don't carry it.

Ty Ford December 3rd, 2004 07:23 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Harley : Yes I checked the battery, that's not it.

I got the Hosa cable that was recommended in another thread (for the TRV950 I think) by Bryan Beasleigh. Checking the box, it says the model number is XVM-249.

So I guess I got the wrong cable, essentially? I searched on B&H Photo's site for a XVM-100, but they don't carry it. -->>>

Maybe Bryan misunderstood your application.

The XVM-249 on the Hosa site says: "Audio Interconnect: Right Angle Stereo 3.5mm (1/8") Mini to XLR Female. For certain Stereo Microphones that use a single XLR as output for both Left and Right signals."

From what you say, it sounds like you have a mono mic looking to go into a stereo unbalanced mini TRS jack.

Again from the HOSA site:
"XVM 100 series
Audio Interconnect: Right Angle Stereo 3.5mm (1/8") Mini to XLR Female. For Camcorders and personal portable recording devices. Applies mono mic or line signal to both Left and Right contacts of a stereo 3.5mm (1/8") mini jack.

I specify the 100 in my "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide" book. For more clarification and what the book offers, check out my website. Things will sound better after you get the new (right) cable.

BTW, a FEW camcorders have some sort of DC voltage on their mini input jacks that some mics just don't like. There are fixes for that as well, but the XVM 100 works most of the time. Other cable companies make similar cables.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bryan Harley December 3rd, 2004 07:32 PM

Where can I purchase said cable?

I was hoping I could just exchange the one I have now with BH Photo for the one I need, but it appears they don't sell it.

Bryan Harley December 3rd, 2004 07:42 PM

Ah, I see. It's called the XVM-100 series. But the particular model number is XVM-101.

So this would be the correct cable that I need, yes? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=158476&is=REG (or the XVM-105, or 115, depending on the length)

Bryan Beasleigh December 4th, 2004 03:14 AM

The adapters that I have are the 101 through 105 but the 249 is described as identical. The B&H site and Hosatech say the XVM249 is a right angled mini male to female XLR. The mic should be fed to both camera channels, that's usuallywhat you want.

I should email Marty at B&H and have him check on it.

Bryan Harley December 4th, 2004 03:18 AM

But the Hosa Tech site does not appear to describe the 101 and the 249 as indentical. It says the 101 is for mono mics (like my AT897) and the 249 is for stereo mics.

Now I'm just confused as to what exactly is my problem here, is it really the cable or not....?

Bryan Beasleigh December 4th, 2004 03:22 AM

Ouch, I just read the description on the Hosa site. It does say the 1/8 stereo to 3 pin XLR but goes on to say that it's used for "some" stereo mic outputs meaning it's unbalanced at the XLR.

Bryan Harley December 4th, 2004 03:24 AM

Okay, thanks very much for emailing him.

I imagine it was just a problem on B&H's side with the incorrect description. I'm going to email them for a return/exchange authorization number. I probably do need that 101 cable instead.

P.S.: In the meantime...is there any harm in getting the adapter at a longer length? I noticed it comes in 5 feet and 15 feet at the same price.

Bryan Beasleigh December 5th, 2004 11:29 AM

I received this email from Marty at B&H.

"The 249 is designed specifically for stereo mics with a 3 pin XLR
output (like the Audio Technica AT822). For all other mics you
should use the 101.

Thanks for bringing this to my attantion and I will make sure that we update the site with the correct info."

Bryan Harley December 5th, 2004 02:18 PM

Good news. Hopefully this won't happen to other people now.

Bryan Harley December 12th, 2004 08:12 PM

Got the different cable and now it works perfectly. Thanks folks.